Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mujingfang Round & Hollow

Hi Brian, I think big work like a lot of moulding on a piece of furniture or big molding like the one you see at the top of some large cabinets that would requier a lot of passes with different planes. I think if you use simple molding on a coffee table it would be good!
    just my 2 cents!

Rob, what about that $30 veritas plane for october???
    I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear somthing more!!!
    Thank
    And it's great to have you on this forum!
    David

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Now if was really going to tease you - I'd tell you about the $30 Veritas plane that's coming in October....it's waaay cool.
    ??? Made in Canada ??? for $30.

What's the catch? No blade included. Blade is $80...

Or worse, disposable blades?

Just kidding Rob.

Dang, talk about insider information. This is like the boss leaving an urgent message on your phone, "Please come to my office immediately. Something has come up!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Rob, what about that $30 veritas plane for october???
    I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear somthing more!!!
    Thank
    And it's great to have you on this forum!
    David

Hi David -

You don't want me to blow the Christmas excitement now....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi David -

You don't want me to blow the Christmas excitement now....

Cheers -

Rob
    Okay now your just toying with us like we do our kids lol

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cavender View Post
    Okay now your just toying with us like we do our kids lol
    Yup -

You know it....

Cheers -

Rob
    (off to complete the cottage washroom reno.... 3 pcs in a 4x8 space! )

Since I don't beleive in Santa Clause, you can PM me the info

Reviving this one, I have considering the Mujingfang set of hollows and rounds, I found a seller on ebay who has a set of 18 for $200 shipped (sorry Rob, but dont worry, I still have a few Veritas Planes on my short list and am hoping you'll be coming out with some larger saws soon ) but want to see if there is any more experience with them first. As I look to give one of my tailed routers away (I was promised some rough sawn cherry in return) I see that hollows and rounds are a good start at replacing some of the tasks done by a router....the only other reasonable option I see is piecing together an old set from fleebay/auctions/etc....unfortunately Clark and Williams is out of the question, their set is beautiful but may be worth more than my wife's car and I don't think she would appreciate that
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohgunn Ooi View Post
    G'day mates,

Has anyone used Mujingfang's Round and Hollow planes?

LV are now selling them, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=64009&cat=1,230,41182.

I am very happy with Mujingfang's bench planes, but have never used any of their rabbet or special purpose planes.

Any experience or feedback shared is highly appreciated.

Cheers

GUNN
    I have a complete set of 18 (technically, it's a half set....) that I purchased from Japan Woodworker about 4 or 5 years ago. They've been used for everything from the slight rounding over of edges to making moulding; I also have a couple of the Mujingfang 63 degree smoothing and block planes. At first, I found there to be a bit of a curve learning to set the iron depth, but once I got the hang of that, they performed in a very, very satisfactory manner.

The plane bodies are nicely and accurately made from a very attractive rosewood, and have accurately ground and profiled irons: they match the plane body profiles very closely. As far as I can tell from measuring them, they are actual imperial sizes, not metric. The steel in the irons, like that in the Mujingfang 63 degree bench planes, seems to be of high quality and appears to be properly heat treated. I have had no problems sharpening them, and they do have good edge retention. All in all, I think they are very decent quality planes.

If you need a set of H & R planes, don't have $3500 in the tool budget for one of those lovely sets of Clark & Williams H & Rs, and don't want to spend years putting together a set of vintage H & Rs, then the Mujingfang H & Rs are a very reasonably-priced and decent quality alternative. While I would really, REALLY love to have a set of C&Ws, until I can squeeze together the pennies for one, the Mujingfang H & Rs do a very, very satisfactory job.

I hope that this will be of some use to you.
    Last edited by James Owen; 02-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)