Thread: New way to make mortises?

New way to make mortises?

I am making a loft bed for my grandson and the task today was to make the side safety rail, which looks like a ladder on its side. I had never made "proper" mortises before, and I was kinda dreading it. I thought about buying a mortise machine, but did not really want to spend the money.

So I thought about using my router table, but that didn't feel safe. Then I thought about using a DIY mortise jig with my handheld router. In the meanwhile I decided to use a 1/2 inch forstner bit in my drill press to at least make the beginning and end of each mortise. Once I got started, I coudn't stop. I used that forstner bit like a mortise chisel, and dang if it didn't cut pretty good mortises. I moved the forstner bit over about an eight of an inch at a time, and it worked great. I did spend all of about a minute with a chisel on each mortise to dress the sides a little. I felt like I had discovered fire.

I used a chisel to clip off the corners of the tenons, and they slipped right in there with just enough snugness (that a word, right?). The side rail is all glued up now and in clamps for the night.

So, maybe everyone else out there already knows about this trick. But for those of you that don't, fear not the mortise.

I made my first mortise with a bit and brace in my grandfathers shop as a child. Drill a hole, move over a bit, drill another hole, etc. I sure does work. Not sure you discovered fire, but it sound like you have a new pack of matches. It always feels good when the light bulb comes on!

The first time I used my slot mortiser I felt like I had traded up from rubbing two sticks together to a flame thrower. Or something like that.

You discovered that technique on your own, but it's very well known and has been used for many, many years. Most people just drill holes close to each other and clean up the sides with a chisel.

And please don't feel bad about discovering something that's already known - many people have to be taught the technique. You're obviously inventive and will do well in woodworking.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

And, if you chuck up an end mill and run the DP at about its highest speed, with a good fence - another way to plow out mortices. My Dad used this to make more window frames than I can count.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary McKown View Post
    And, if you chuck up an end mill and run the DP at about its highest speed, with a good fence - another way to plow out mortices. My Dad used this to make more window frames than I can count.

My quill bearings do not approve!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    With the right gizmo on the Shopsmith, that wouldn't be a problem. I've got a collet that handles 1/2" router bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    +1!

I swear I heard mine whimper at the thought, too.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    With the right gizmo on the Shopsmith, that wouldn't be a problem. I've got a collet that handles 1/2" router bits...
    I have some end table leggs comming up and was thinking of jiggin up my ol SS to do mortises. My concern is the stability and size of the table. Guess I could use an adjustable stand. I am "this close" to ordering the Mortise Pal but should give the SS a try I guess.
    EDIT;
    Hmm, Guess I should look into the mortising attachment... http://www.woodworkingmortisetenon.com/042902pt1.pdf
    Last edited by Colin Wollerman; 09-04-2009 at 11:31 AM.

To help out Woodcraft has some basic Forstner bit set on 50% off this weekend! Now you can make them cheaper and in more sizes.

Outstanding! I agree with Mike. You've got the right mind for all of this.

I hand drilled out the mortises for my workbench with the good old Bit-n-Brace, then squared up the faces with a chisel.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does the Shopsmith depend upon one set screw to hold the chuck on,as it at least USED to to hold the table saw blade on? If so,I wouldn't want to have the chuck flying off the spindle with an endmill in it.

I have never had a Shopsmith,but noticed years ago that one setscrew holding the saw blade on. I think that was very inadequate.

One set screw that hits a flat on the shaft. I don't use the Table Saw Arbor. I had a Table Saw when I bought the Shopsmith and never felt any desire to use it. I haven't had any problems with that set screw slipping with the Jacobs chuck or lathe spndle, but I can certainly see loosing the collet while spinning a router bit or end mill would be pretty scary. The RPMs could be pretty fast compared to a "normal" drill press, but not that fast at all compared to a Router or Shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Does the Shopsmith depend upon one set screw to hold the chuck on,as it at least USED to to hold the table saw blade on? If so,I wouldn't want to have the chuck flying off the spindle with an endmill in it.

I have never had a Shopsmith,but noticed years ago that one setscrew holding the saw blade on. I think that was very inadequate.

I whittle my mortises out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night