Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Tills - looking for ideas

Plane Tills - looking for ideas

Now that I have my workbench finished (other than the sliding deadman and maybe shelving), I want to figure out how to hang my hand tools on the wall behind the bench.

I have seen pictures (somewhere?) of handplane tills where the planes stand vertically at an angle. I've done some searching but cannot locate any of these pictures.

So I'm looking for some ideas to so I can build one. Do any of you have pictures, drawings, etc. of tills that you have built?

Jeff

Not mine, but . . .

Here's one I found doing a google search:

http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/20...lane-till.html

I thought it was a nice design with some flexible storage options. A version of this is on my shop "to do" list (which is getting ever longer).

Here's one way I do it. I prefer a drawer or cabinet to keep them safer and cleaner.

here is mine....

Shop 013.jpg

This is the way I have them now, simple and efficient. But eventualy would like a plane cabinet... I think!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave,

That would terrify me. Any time I have things hanging like that they come down, and that would be to much for me to take.

Jeff,

I am looking for ideas also. The shelf I have them on now is ok, but it is staying when I move, so I want to build a dedicated cabinet for them. I think I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what everyone comes up with. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Here's what I did

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory View Post
    Now that I have my workbench finished (other than the sliding deadman and maybe shelving), I want to figure out how to hang my hand tools on the wall behind the bench.

I have seen pictures (somewhere?) of handplane tills where the planes stand vertically at an angle. I've done some searching but cannot locate any of these pictures.

So I'm looking for some ideas to so I can build one. Do any of you have pictures, drawings, etc. of tills that you have built?

Jeff
    Here's a shot of the entire cabinet. Jointers and Fore planes are arranged in the till and held by a series of cleats

Here's the prototype that I used to prove the concept. The cleats hold the planes nice and securely.

Here's a close up of the cleats.

And here's a drawing of the cleats:
    Dominic Greco

This is a fairly old picture - still a bit rough-and-ready here. Too busy with furniture for the house to do more in the workshop at present. All my cabinets will have glass fronted doors.

This cabinet is about 10' long. Bench is below.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's Mine

Matthew

WOW!!! Fantastic response so far with a nice diversity to boot. Keep them coming. I think this will be a nice reference thread for others to refer to in the future.

11. Here's mine -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory View Post
    WOW!!! Fantastic response so far with a nice diversity to boot. Keep them coming. I think this will be a nice reference thread for others to refer to in the future.
    And another...

Last edited by Jim McFarland; 09-03-2009 at 1:32 PM. Reason: use a smaller photo

Don Peterson made a rack on casters that he moves about his shop with planes, saws, chisels and other essentials so that he can move it close to where he is working.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

I work out of a large tool chest, my plane till is the bottom drawer, with the jointer and foreplane stored in the top section.

Jr.