Thread: PROGRIP Panel Guide

PROGRIP Panel Guide

As it is father's day here on Sunday No. 2 daughter has asked me towhat i would like for the big day.

I have looked at the Progrip system to cut large panels of plywood etc but have been put off by the price here especially when a simple home made jig with some awkwardness tends to just get by.

However, seeing someone else is paying I thought it might be nice to have something over and above of just getting by. because the guide is too big to bring back on a plane from the States I will have to get it here and pay the premium although on this particular brand the price overs is manageable especially when compared to some other imported stuff here..

My question is who is the Progrip brand accepted in the States. It appeals to me the clipping system and the fact that the circular saw saw base runs along the groove in a tee track making it much more stable than just running beside it and beeen used a a guide fence.

The router attachment base appeals also. what are the pluses and minuses of such a system without putting too much emphasis on the cost. Is it a weel made substantial product, not whimpy but stable to be used as a back up guide fence if needed.

Peter

I have just bumped this question to the top again because no body has answered.

Is the no answers because the US made Progrip system is unknown by Sawmill Creekers or the product has more fashionable competitors there. I see Woodcraft have a similar style fence which looks a copy and inferior in construction from what I can see from the catalogue and possibly just not as versatile.

The price difference for the cheaper Woodcraft " Copy " is not sufficient to make up for the lack of versatility and the drop in quality,.

Perhaps if Lie- Neilsen has its name on the product and not Progrip I would have seen a reply about the evils of "The new world order" "Globalization" "The end of the world as we know it" " The return of the "Yellow Peril" "Reds under the Bed"
    "McCarthyism"?

Any thoughts.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Bell; 09-04-2009 at 5:20 PM.

Hi Peter,

The Progrip looks OK but I think you will find it's limitations pretty quick.
    I have a EurekaZone system and am pretty happy with it. http://www.eurekazone.com/
    My good friend is a hardwood flooring contractor and uses the Festool track saw. The Dewalt looks pretty sharp too. All three of these do a great job cutting up sheet goods. There are some other less expensive versions but those are not much better than a home made fixture (my opinion).
    C

Thanks for the reply Colin.

The Eureka system is not available in Australia and the length makes it difficult to put in your hand luggage. Dino the owner of the Eureka company is thinking of coming to Australia and set up a distributor if possible, but that is in the future and we are in the present now.

I agree that several of the cheaper versions are not much better than a homemade one which I have now. With regard to finding the limitations of the Progrip I suppose it depends what you expect it to do. Everything has its limitations and just for cutting across plywood the 50 inch model with the larger saw base seems to fit the bill for me.

The fact I may be also able to use it in a pinch as a router table fence has some appeal also.

What advantage has the Eureka system over the Progrip in the 50 inch size and what is the price difference in America. Which is the most expensive in your dollars.

Thanks for your reply

Peter.

I was wondering what type of home made jig gets by for ripping 8' sheets length wise? Is it the one I attached at the bottom? I saw that in a magazine once and it's supposed to work very well if made properly. Especially if your board is straight and you properly cut the hardboard with the circular saw making the jig.

You just have to mark your sheet goods at two points, adjust the jig so hardboard edge aligns with the two pencil marks, clamp both ends with a bar clamp, and cut away.

Works sort of similar to the Festool track system which I agree is incredible, though very pricey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris.

I have a similar jig to the one you have posted. The main problem and irritation to me is that it is a bit awkward to pull the saw onto the fence guide rail while maintaining forward momentum with the saw.

Now it may just be my technique, but I found that the further away from the edge you are the more you have to lean over the plywood and the more difficult it becomes to keep the saw against the guide rail especially when you have to outstretch too far.

I was hoping that the Progrip system with the larger saw base which clamps into the T Track groove might slide along much easier not unlike a panel saw on its side system.

Maybe I am expecting too much. However, if I had to pay for the system myself I would persevere with the system I have which works on the same principal you have described and I could learn to live with it.

Seeing it is a present, and it is something I could not justify myself, it fits the bill perfectly as far as my daughter is concerned. Normally, if I want something badly enough and the the itch gets to bad, I have to scratch it and just buy it.

Peter.

Chris, The ol hardboard straight edge is a great tool for the price

Peter, I don't know about using the progrip as a fence however running your router on a clampable straight edge is fantastic. I made my own router sled to work with the EZ rails and love it. Eurekazones SRK is a great tool. The progrip router sled would be a must if you get that system.

The upper end track saws are great because;
    Quick versatile clamping
    Anti-chip protection
    The edge of the guide is where the saw cuts (like the hard board jig)
    Spot-on reliable precision
    Ability to cut long narrow strips
    Fast repeatable set up.

In all fairness. the progrip look like it will do a good job. I think one would have a hard time building a fixture as good for the price. Certainly a step up from the hard board rail...which also works good.
    C