Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chop Saw/Miter Saw Dust Collection

Thanks, Jeffrey. That is a great idea, unfortunately before I read your post, I already installed an outlet under the table and a standard on off switch (Decora from HD) to turn the DC on and off. I thought about getting something that turned on when the miter saw was turned on, but unlike a TS or planer, it doesn't "stay" on. So I didn't want the DC (or a shopvac) constantly turning on and off with each cut. Anywho, that deed is done. Even without the shroud, with the DC on, and a hose from the rear port of my Dewalt into the DC hose, dust is pretty well under controll. I think I will make some sort of shroud when I am finished with the left and right extension tables (they just need maple trim and a few coats of poly). I'll be SO glad to finish this project...cause I have a LONG list of others to do to finish the shop.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Mike, what are you using to secure your 6" pipe to you dust hood for the miter saw. Hard to tell from pics.

Thnaks

Um, don't know if you meant ME/Mike, but I din't post any pics and there aren't any other Mike's on this thread...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Sam, I had seen your pictures before. I may steal/modify your design for my set up. I built a box bay window in the middle of the wall where my SCMS docks in my multipurpose bench set up. I have 10+ feet on either side of the blade. I need something that stays in the box bay opening instead of traveling with the saw, as my SCMS is mobile and I will also be rolling my RAS there. I mounted a whole house vacuum unit my Dad scrounged for me, that was being thrown away, that I will attach to the blade shroud hook up for both saws. 6" pipe from the cyclone to the main pick up. I hope for good results! Now I need to find time to actually work on it. I did cut down the table for the RAS to fit in the 3' wide spot, so at least I got that far. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim,

I hope the design will be useful to you. It sounds like you have a good set up with the bay window box, and 10' on either side of the blade. I wish I had the bay window situation. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Woodworking mailorder houses offer electronic boxes that you plug the tool and shop vacuum into. When it senses amp draw from the tool, it turns on the vacuum. I opted to not use this because both saw and vacuum use the same circuit.
    I've seen at least one where the "box" plugs into two separate outlets for exactly this reason.

Great ideas

I'm not at a computer that has my pictures in it, but I put some pictures of mine in a similar thread on another woodworking forums. Here's a link to it: http://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/...ust#entry93650

Sam:

Is the swimming pool hose just sitting inside the larger duct?

I have my Festool shop vac hooked up to my Kapex, but also have a DC connection I could use that T's off my drum sander. I was thinking that the combo of my cyclone and my Festool DC vacuum would work great, but haven't hooked up the cyclone part yet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,

Yes, the swimming pool hose just goes into the larger duct 5 or 6 inches or so.

Sam

This really inspires some ideas. Thanks.