Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gatling Gun Project

Would you please post a photo of the completed gun when done. The wheel looks remarkable.

Dar

I have made an agreement with the guy making the gun. He said I would be able to get photo's of it. But the one thing I don't know at this time is how long the project will be out. Could be a month, 3 months or a year. If I get pictures I will post them here.

I have some final pictures of the wheels. The first pic is one wheel with the hub completed. All the holes drilled and bolts and nuts inserted. I ended up doing the holes on the drill press. Using the front hub as a guide, the back hub was removed and a blow out board was underneath to prevent the wood from splintering when the drill bit exited.

The second pic is inside the shop taken with a flash. The natural light one shows how the wood is closer in shade to each other and the flash shows the nice character of the wood. In real life you see both at the same time. I just couldn't get one photo to show both.

Absolutely stunning Leo.
    I don’t think I could do as well with my milling machine!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Those turned out extradinary Leo. I hope they keep that gattlin' gun covered in paste wax as rust just wouldn't compliment the carriage and wheels.

Extremely well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

That's very impressive work, Leo. The finished result is fantastic.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Leo,

The wheels turned out wonderful. I would love to see the final pictures with the unit completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel View Post
    Leo,

The wheels turned out wonderful. I would love to see the final pictures with the unit completed.
    yep, very nice... and I'd bet money everyone would like to see them on the final project.. fulfilling their destiny
    fledgling weekend warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Gave up the 2 walnut wheels a few days ago. He offered up some more info, not a lot though. He is going to get the brass hubs gold plated. So I had to show him how to get the hubs off the wheel and back on. I really hope he can do this and get everything align back up so they go on. It was a very tight fit with very close tolerances. When I went to put it on I even had a tough time, and I know exactly how to do it.

He doesn't know the time scale of completion. Most of the work is being done the way he had it done with me. Take your time, and do it between projects and give me a nice price. He also said he will be getting a Plexiglas box made for it to protect it. He says he already has made a scale cannon. It just goes into a room in his house.

That is some very nice work. Thank you for sharing.

Gary

Been watching this project with interest. Great job, Leo. Interestingly, just heard a few days ago of a local fellow that was building a scaled gatling gun - must be a somewhat popular project. I look forward to seeing a final pic - whenever that comes.

Thanks for sharing.

aw man that's cool!
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Well, he called me today asking if I would be interested in pictures of the finished project. Of course my answer was "hell ya". Only to find out that he still needs to get the metal parts gold plated. I guess this is the last thing that needs to be done.

We both laughed at how it would have been so much nicer if the plating was done a lot earlier before the price of gold soared.

So, I haven't forgotten, just been waiting myself.

Leo, I enjoyed re-reading this thread. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished Gatling gun!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Me too. The guy doing this is pretty up there in age. I've been hoping he would have time to complete it. I was surprised to hear from him on a few different levels. Glad to heat he's still kicking.