Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help picking a good band saw!

Barn beams are heavy. I'd get someone w/ a portable sawmill to saw them for me. But that's because my back always hurts.

I am a happy G0513x2 owner.

I believe in buying from a local dealer.

With that said. After the sale, the local dealer may be able to help apply some pressure with the mfg if a problem comes up but most likely will be of little help if a repair is needed down the road. They just sell, Not service.

I would not be afraid to buy a Grizzly at all. Any problem that has come up here on Sawmill Creek was resolved. Most times by the President of Grizzly himself Shiraz Balolia.

Off hand, Anyone know the name of the President of Delta or JET?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Waeiss View Post
    I'm wondering if I use the smaller blade (1/4") if I will be able to do some curve work.
    1/4" blade on the G0513X with a circle jig: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...0&d=1250863516
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If your wife said that you can get whatever you want, and if you have room, buy two band saws! That way you can have one that's always set up for resawing and ripping and a smaller one set up for curved work!

Just explain to her in as few words as possible the merits of having two saws.

I wouldn't be in the least bit concerned about buying a saw from Grizzly or some other non-local source, as long as they have a good reputation for CS. Some people prefer to support local businesses and I understand that. I'm not knocking it, either. For me, and many others on this forum, there isn't a local business option for buying quality woodworking machines.

You're not likely to take a Band Saw in for servicing, anyway. If some parts goes south on you or if you want to add some bells and whistles you're likely to do that yourself. That's how you'll get to know your machine. If you have specific questions about HOW to replace a part or do an upgrade, this is the place to ask.

Good luck with your choice.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Something to consider - you mentioned resawing old barn beams. The questions that run through my mind are what size, what material, how long, how many, and how often?

It's like saying that you need to move 40,000 lbs. Your choices are to make 80 trips with a small pickup truck, 40 trips with a 1/2 ton pickup, 20 trips with a 1 ton pickup, 4 trips with a medium duty truck, or one trip with a tractor trailer.

The larger HP and blade size on the larger saws will speed up your rewawing significantly. The absolute fastest way to resaw beams is by using a sawmill, but if you only need the equivalent of 2 - 3 beams sawn per year then that would be overkill.

Resawing a significant quantity of barn beams on a 2 hp saw is like using the 1/2 ton pickup in the example above. Yes, it can be done but it will take a while to do a large volume.

Also, it would be a good idea to buy or borrow a very high quality metal detector. Used barn beams are typically full of metal, which is not the best thing for bandsaw blades...

You really might be better off with two saws - a 14" for your detail work and a 24" or larger for your resawing. There are a lot of used "heavy iron" bandsaws available for around $1000 that would really handle the resawing chores, (plus the cost of a rotary phase converter if you don't already have 3-phase).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    ....... and if you have room, buy two band saws! That way you can have one that's always set up for resawing and ripping and a smaller one set up for curved work!
    I have a 14" set up with a small blade for curved work and an 18" set up with a 3/4" 3-TPI Lennox for everything else. Both are Rikons and I would buy two more in a heartbeat. Can't speak to any service from Rikon as I've never needed any for these two saws.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Saint Johns, Michigan which is about 20 miles north of lansing
    She did say I could get whatever I want, although my budget (and space) will only allow for one band saw. Hummmmm christmas is coming though

Saint Johns, Michigan which is about 20 miles north of lansing
    Scott I wish I could say exactly how often as I have to wait on my sources to say come and get it. I have 3 sources for this wood and all 3 are at different stages of their barn remodels. I'll probably only be resawing 4-6 beams a year for maybe 2 years. I do know that they are all doing a little at a time as their money permits, but I got first crack at the beams and other wood as they progress. I know for sure that 2 of the barns have oak and hickory in them. The other barn looks to be cedar and oak. The lengths range from 8'- 14' maybe some that are a little longer, but having said that I'll have to cut them to manageable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Waeiss View Post
    Scott I wish I could say exactly how often as I have to wait on my sources to say come and get it. I have 3 sources for this wood and all 3 are at different stages of their barn remodels. I'll probably only be resawing 4-6 beams a year for maybe 2 years. I do know that they are all doing a little at a time as their money permits, but I got first crack at the beams and other wood as they progress. I know for sure that 2 of the barns have oak and hickory in them. The other barn looks to be cedar and oak. The lengths range from 8'- 14' maybe some that are a little longer, but having said that I'll have to cut them to manageable pieces.
    Robert, for resawing a large beam every other month personally I'd want a fairly large saw - say something in the 5 hp / 24" or greater range.

Here is a saw that may be coming available that would really work well:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...78400#poststop

In a perfect world, you'd want something that included an industrial sized powerfeeder.

I used this Grizzly saw for resawing large beams in my old shop:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-I...-3-Phase/G0569

For the smaller work, I had a 14" Delta.

In my new shop, in addition to my sawmill I have this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-D...-Bandsaw/G0504

From a budget perspective, the "old large iron" usually sells for a lower price then newer, smaller iron. In a perfect world, search for a larger saw, such as a Moak or a Tannewitz, that already has a phase converter and power feeder with it. If you shop well, you might be able to find a complete setup for less than $1,500. Then buy a small saw for your resaw needs.

Scott, I know I'm activating an old thread, but I can't find anyone that has the G0504.
    How do you like it?
    I've got a chance to pick up a used one, for a few thousand dollars.

I got a grizzly 514x2 a couple months ago and it has been terrific. It replaced an old Inca saw which is a beautiful tool but just didn't have enough power to do what I wanted. I was worried that the Inca quality had spoiled me but the Grizzly appears to be very well made. One of my rules I use to figure out tool quality is to look places that are hidden. I looked at the Laguna and the welds were sloppy and not cleaned up.

Out of the crate, I could balance a nickel on the Grizzly table on its edge and turn the saw on. It didn't fall over.

I would ask two pointed questions;

How will you prospect for metal embedded in the beams? One nail will ruin a $40 blade - FAST.
    How will you manipulate each beam? Here's a timberframe saw as an alternative.

Note the way the motor is used as ballast to get gravity on your side.