Thread: Help me find a way to protect this wood arch from the elements

Help me find a way to protect this wood arch from the elements

Before my wedding, a friend and I made a pretty nifty arch type thing out of reclaimed lumber. The original idea was to use it for the wedding and then have it sit at the bottom of our walkway in front of the house. Of course, in typical husband fashion, it has sat in my shop for the past 5 years. I'd like to have the space back in my shop and I'd like to finally get it outside where it belongs.

However, one thing we never really accomplished was deciding what kind of finish to put on it to protect from the elements while outside. Up here in the northwest "elements" means drizzling rain for 7 months and steady sun for 3 months. Fall and spring last about a month each if they arrive at all.

I am crappy at identifying wood, but my best guess is that the wood is fir. I can take some close up photos of it if necessary.

I'm not really looking to stain the piece to any other color, just to protect it. I'd be interested in hearing any and all suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Josh, I would use a marine urethane...if it is good enough for boats I think it will work for your arch thingy
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

The most protective finish would be an oil based exterior rated trim paint.

If you want a clear finish, do not use any clear finish that contains polyurethane or urethane. Urethane is rapidly attacked by the UV in sunlight and will quickly become cloudy and yellow, then it will crack allowing water to get underneath and totally destroy the finish. If you want a clear finish, use a real exterior marine oil based varnish. Go to a marine supply store and look for brands like Wolsey, Interlux and, best of all, Epifanes. Even with this finish, be prepared to re-coat every year or two. When the finish gets cloudy, sand it wtih 220 paper and add a couple of more coats.
    Howie.........

Howard has given you the best advice...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Nice arch. It looks to me to have some Asian inspiration?

I have had much success with West Systems Epoxy. It is a marine epoxy coating/adhesive used for boat building and sold at most marine centers like West Marine(no relation). there are a variety of formulas for different applications so you need to check the web site and request some literature. They have detailed "how to" manuals for all products.

I used the clear formula to coat a driveway gate that we built from Brazilan Mahogany and after 2 years in the Florida sun and rain it has stood up very well. The finish is crystal clear with minimal build. Because it is far superior to any paint grade finish it comes with a higher price tag however it requires no special tools for application and no reapplication needed.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 09-14-2009 at 7:11 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I do lots of boat repairs and finishing and I agree with Howard.
    I have had the very best luck with Epifanes. It runs about $37/Qt.
    In your mostly rainy climate, Epifanes should last about 2 years before recoating.
    There is no magic bullet when it comes to clearcoating. The UV from the sun is your worse enemy.
    The whole secret to long term success is to recoat before it need it.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville