Thread: What is this wood?

What is this wood?

Hello,
    I recently had the opportunity to get a couple hundred bd ft of lumber and I don't really know what type it is. Can someone look at the attached photos and let me know what you thiink it might be. This came from a barn close to Seattle Wa. All boards are rough sawn and some is up to 2 in thick and 10 in wide. If you stick your thumbnail in it you get a very small dent (about like the poplar that I have)
    Thanks in advance for your help

By the way the dark wood is a oak table, the "light wood" is the wood I am trying to identify.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill sostrich; 09-30-2009 at 3:39 PM. Reason: add comments

Blog Entries
    Possibly big leaf maple. The photos are a bit fuzzy and us right coasters don't see much western wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another good bet is alder, one of the commercial hardwoods on the West Coast.

I'm going to guess maple because of the slight figure you can see, but it does look like Alder too. LOL. It's amazing how difficult it is to identify some wood species.

I vote for alder also.