Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many planes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pattee View Post
    Woah...camellia oil on my pants. How'd that get there?

Jim, you clearly have too many planes. For instance, the 98, 99 pair and the 79 perform the same function. You could send me the 98, and 99 thereby reducing your overload by 2 planes.
    I like my #98 & #99 pair. They are of the same date, but bought separately. Both are in very good shape, almost no loss of plating, and the pair would likely sell for more than was paid for the two. Got lucky on eBay.

I would be happy to sell the 79. I would have to look and make sure it is not cracked. There is another 98 in the shop that is cracked that will eventually be parted out. The other 99 has already had some parts sold off of it.

That picture did not include all the planes in my shop. Most of the planes in the picture are used regularly. A few are being saved to be used in an instructional piece on low angle block planes when a bit more time is available. If a plane is not a good user, I would not feel good selling it to someone without full disclosure. There are not likely going to be a lot of bidders on eBay for something being sold as a piece of junk. The other side of that, is one of the pieces of Stanley junk was bought for a $1 with some freebies on the side further lowering the cost. It is good fettle learning/teaching material that may become a good user or a pile of parts.

We just waved so long to some visiting friends, so I have gotten behind over the last week or so. More visitors are scheduled to arrive in the next week or two.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-06-2009 at 3:40 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jerry, you need a 12 step program for plane addicts.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Jerry, you need a 12 step program for plane addicts.
    Bill
    Bill,

I'm already doing that. I buy 12 planes and think I'm cured. Just to be safe, I buy 12 more....

-Jerry

I don't know many people who buy a million planes to start with. They're acquired over a lifetime. As you acquire more, you appreciate the subtleties of each. Planes - probably more than any other tool - are half tool and half art.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post

A blatant example of "planeography".
    "Planeography" better than "Planeophobia"

Quote Originally Posted by Pohgunn Ooi View Post
    "Planeography" better than "Planeophobia"
    Humm... they don't bite, do they?