Thread: Protective Cover for Glass Cooktop

Protective Cover for Glass Cooktop

I have a very nice Jenn-Air cooktop that has been victimized by falling items on the island countertop. The countertop is black uba tuba granite. I have purchased a new glass top and want to build some kind of decorative, functional cover to protect it (they are not cheap!)

Anybody else ever done this? Got any ideas? Cutting board?

Mike

I've never done that. I'm on and off the stove often enough that I don't think I'd want to be taking the cover off each time.

One question comes to mind. Where's the cover going to go when it is off the cooktop? If it is a big sheet of wood, that's a big thing to store. Maybe you could tilt it up against the wall behind the stove, if your range hood is mounted high enough. But flammables in that area are not recommended. So maybe the cover should roll up or fold up. For instance, a piece of shipping blanket would look ugly, but it would do the protection job. Or a piece of tambor would at least roll up.

This project screams fire hazzard to me. I had a garage fire in 2003 and believe me it's no fun andyou get real sensitive to anything that could cause a fire in your house. I don't let anything made of wood or flammable get on the burners in my kitchen. If you made a cover for your cooktop and a burner was turned on by mistake that's a recipie for distaster IMHO.

You can not turn the range on with the cover over it. But your points are well taken.

Stowage would be a big problem.

Prolly just a dumb idea on my part.

I've seen an outdoor barbeque with a cover. IRRC, it was a sheet of metal with the edges bent down to make box with something like 1"-tall sides, and hinged at the back. You just flipped it up to use the burners. I think its purpose in life was to keep weather and animals off the burners, but it'd serve to protect your indoor cooktop from falling objects. It'd also be uninflammable. Now, whether it would be sufficiently pretty, that's your call. You can do decorative treatments to stainless, like engine-turning.

6. I'm confused... What exactly is falling on it, why is it falling and where exactly is it coming from.

The worst I ever have falling on me are spices. I doubt that they'd chip a cook top.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I'm confused... What exactly is falling on it, why is it falling and where exactly is it coming from.

The worst I ever have falling on me are spices. I doubt that they'd chip a cook top.
    I was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I'm confused... What exactly is falling on it, why is it falling and where exactly is it coming from.

Well, I dunno about the OP, but I broke one by dropping a big cast-iron frying pan on it.

Its a big granite island (maybe 3x8?) with the cook top in the middle. My wife has various "nick nacks" arround the top. Like bottles filled with preserved peppers, etc. The cleaning lady occasionaly knocks one of these over and well, you get the point. Yes, I can see the obvious solutions, but my wife likes that stuff. So those are out.

I am still thinking "cutting board"

Mike

I think you need to beat the cleaning lady harder
    a rubber mat that rolls up would be a better choice.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

How about a fiberglass fire blanket? Non-flammable, folds/rolls up for storage. Good idea to have one in the kitchen, anyway.