Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jugendstil der Tisch (Table)

Jugendstil der Tisch (Table)

She wanted a table to accomdate a small Betta fish-tank with the space from our old computer hutch which was replaced by a larger one I finished a month ago. The wall space was vacant and determined the width. I had to attempt to compliment the computer desk-hutch which is in the same small study between kitchen and family room on a larger wall. So....

I saw a table used to sit pitchers on at a station in a German Beer Hall in Munich in the early 80's which had no drawers. I also saw a serving table by the Dutch designer Limbert (influenced by McKenzie and his Glasgow style) with double row drawers. It was Jugendstil (youth style) popular in the late 19th century in Germany and parts of Europe.

I took both designs from memory into account and created my interpretation which was a strongly built fat box. Took off all the fat and leaned it down to very lean with cut-outs and openings. Then added back toned muscle with thin corbels.. curves and arches and basic joinery. This is the result which may not appeal to you personally but I feel appropriate to compliment the desk-hutch just completed and the simple style we call home.

QSWO.. hard maple drawers.. ebony drawer pull fronts.. no metal. Simple in reality with a two week build and two week finish with intermitten hours applied Mon.-Fri. Sorry about the lighting in pictures as I have no skill with camera's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Always build what the wife wants = New Tools

Nice job on the table. It is fun to build stuff for the wife. Always make sure you need a special tool to complete the project for her. She will probably even pick it up for you.

I knew I am the only woodworker that is over 60 but it sure would be nice if we could get them( sawmill creek) to make the pictures a little larger.

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Boehm View Post
    Nice job on the table. It is fun to build stuff for the wife. Always make sure you need a special tool to complete the project for her. She will probably even pick it up for you.

I knew I am the only woodworker that is over 60 but it sure would be nice if we could get them( sawmill creek) to make the pictures a little larger.
    Thanks Howard. Fortunately after 38 years of accumulation.. I can't think of a tool I need with maybe the exception of a wide belt sander and I don't have to have that. So.. maybe a fresh bottle of glue and sand-paper every now and then.

I'm 62 and know what you mean Howard. But... try this. Put your mouse arrow on a picture and then click which will en-large it if you didn't do that. I am about as dumb with computers as I am camera's and my wife pointed that out to me one day while she heard me swearing under my breathe. I suppose computers require accumulated skills just a WW"ing.

Thanks again as I'm taking the day off but will start a printer table tomorrow. I don't get any respect from her.
    Sarge..

Sarge, you may not have camera skills, but you sure make up for it in the furniture design skillset!! I love this piece, and it compliments very well the desk-hutch you just finished. Really like how you carried the curves/radii throughout. Momma should be pleased - and, you deserve the day off

Blog Entries
    Ja, der Tisch ist gut. Very, very nice piece. Beautiful wood. What was the finishing protocol?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It is the enlarged picture

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Thanks Howard. Fortunately after 38 years of accumulation.. I can't think of a tool I need with maybe the exception of a wide belt sander and I don't have to have that. So.. maybe a fresh bottle of glue and sand-paper every now and then.

I'm 62 and know what you mean Howard. But... try this. Put your mouse arrow on a picture and then click which will en-large it if you didn't do that. I am about as dumb with computers as I am camera's and my wife pointed that out to me one day while she heard me swearing under my breathe. I suppose computers require accumulated skills just a WW"ing.

Thanks again as I'm taking the day off but will start a printer table tomorrow. I don't get any respect from her.

It is the enlarged picture I need bigger. I to seem to have every tool but I am in the process of upgrading my collection. Some new and exciting tools and upgrades to the old ones are coming out quicker than you can buy them.

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Great work, Sarge!! I especially like the curves and corbels. It softens up all the right angles you see on most tables of this ilk. I'm particularly impressed that you designed this from 20 something year old memories.
    I can remember lots of things when I was a little kid working with my grandpa in his blacksmith shop, and a few things from yesterday, but everything in between is beginning to get a little fuzzy. Oh well, getting older has other advantages. Good looking table.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Beautiful wood and a beautiful piece of furniture.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Sarge, you may not have camera skills, but you sure make up for it in the furniture design skillset!! I love this piece, and it compliments very well the desk-hutch you just finished. Really like how you carried the curves/radii throughout. Momma should be pleased - and, you deserve the day off
    Momma was indeed pleased on this one and I got a verdict of Not Guilty of Wood Slaughter with a day off no less. Thanks... I felt it important on this piece to keep the curves moving and especially where the back-splash meets the table and blends into the top of the rear corbel which tapers down. Without that I think the balance would have been thrown out of kilter.

Again... thanks for the kind compliments...
    Sarge..

John,
    That's a beautiful piece and is proportioned to fit that wall perfectly.
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Ja, der Tisch ist gut. Very, very nice piece. Beautiful wood. What was the finishing protocol?
    Thanks so much, Glenn. The finish is somewhat simple. Raise grain after 150 grit with distilled water.. then sand with 180 which is all I go too with open pored hard-wood. Stain as my wife was on a respirator once and cannot take fumes. Two coats of sem-gloss poly cut 60%-40% wiped on. Light sand between coats to take off nibs with Abra-lon 500 grit dry.

Then another two coats of wiped Satin cut to 50%-50% with a very light sanding to take off nibs on the 3rd coat. Then sand with Abra-lon 1000 grit on last coat very lightly. Allow to harden and gas off about a week. Then apply Liberon Black Bison Wax with Liberon 0000 steel wool. This applies the wax and also rubs the sheen down to a satin lustre so two birds are killed with one operation. I allow the wax to gas off and harden for another two days before moving it to the intended task.

Thanks again...
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Boehm View Post
    It is the enlarged picture I need bigger. I to seem to have every tool but I am in the process of upgrading my collection. Some new and exciting tools and upgrades to the old ones are coming out quicker than you can buy them.
    Yeah.. they do come out with new stuff everyday it seems Howard. Fortunately I am satisfied with what I have and stay busy enough I don't give it much thought anymore. Now.. attempting not to over-buy wood.. another story.

Thanks....
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pritchett View Post
    Great work, Sarge!! I especially like the curves and corbels. It softens up all the right angles you see on most tables of this ilk. I'm particularly impressed that you designed this from 20 something year old memories.
    I can remember lots of things when I was a little kid working with my grandpa in his blacksmith shop, and a few things from yesterday, but everything in between is beginning to get a little fuzzy. Oh well, getting older has other advantages. Good looking table.

Jim
    Thanks neighbor... I agree that A & C can be a bit masculine. It really does convey strength and function though even though I prefer to thin it down a bit with the curves.. etc. to take off fat and then add a little muscle tone back to avoid feminine.

Strangely enough.. there was a black-smith shop on my block in town here in Lawrenceville when I was growing up. A mule barn also that bought.. sold and traded until the late 50's. I have fond memories of sitting in a corner quietly (as I was instructed to do.. imagine a kid being quiet and doing what he was told to do these days ) watching the smithing take place.

The memory is pretty good for me really. At least I remember my name and my little 4th grade girl-friend had on a dark blue dress.. white buttons with two holes with white thread.. shiny black patton leather shoes with white nylon socks.. and a wide white belt around her waist when she gave a piano recital in 4th grade. There was no make-up BTW with the exception of a hint of rouge (now called blush) that her mother allowed for this special occasion. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Not to bad I suppose.. not bad at all.

Thanks Jim...
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Beautiful wood and a beautiful piece of furniture.......
    Thanks Von. I really like working with local woods. QSWO is easy to work IMO and very forgiving with finish.

Thanks much...
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Peek View Post
    John,
    That's a beautiful piece and is proportioned to fit that wall perfectly.
    Well done!
    Thanks Rick.. the first thing that had to be dealt with is the space it had to fill. Then as you stated you had to calculate the proportions to make all blend into one flowing, balanced functional piece. I don't use plans and sometimes that can be hit an miss without Auto-Cad but... I just do it that way and sometimes get lucky trusting my vision of the end result. Sometimes not and when so.. it shows..
    Sarge..