Thread: Swivel lid Christmas boxes

Swivel lid Christmas boxes

These are some small split swivel lid boxes that I like to make from small pieces of wood. You can make one of these from a piece about 7/8" thick x 6" wide x 13" long piece of wood. Over the years I have made dozens of these and they are always well received by the ladies. They are not really good for storing much as they have an internal depth of about 1 1/8" so you can't put much in them.

If Betsy Yocum happens to read this- Betsy this is a variation of the box you learned to make at American Sycamore. The swivel pin is in the center of the side rather than in the corner.

Overall dimensions are 2 1/4" tall by about 6" square. They are from left to right Mahogany, Birdseye maple and Bubinga with a little burl. These are not my original design, I saw a picture of one in a magazine and figured out how to make them.

Sorry for the lousy pictures. By the way they have many coats of finish and are buffed with the Beall system. These boxes are meant to be rubbed and handled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

WOW, they are beautiful. They sure do look nice. Great job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Those are great, Mike. Perhaps you'll consider posting a pictorial of the major steps you take when making them. I think these will appeal to a lot of folks.

BTW, I like how you relieved the edges along the curve for a very fluid look. Great use of carving to give life to the boxes!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll second what Jim said. Need the how too's.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Jim, thanks for the look. Carving is a relative term for what happens to these. First they are routed with 1/2" roundover bits on the top and 3/8" on the base. The split is also routed. Then the old mini-grinder is used to blend the shapes. Then much sanding with my PC 505 and a flap sander. I will take some pictures the next time I make them.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nice

As a fellow box maker and giver of same I am always looking for something new. This design will be in my files.

Mike, I really like your little boxes. They look great. I think that I would like to try to make some, maybe for Christmas presents. Do you think that you could write up the instructions and have them entered into the articles section here at Saw Mill Creek? Beautiful work!
    Pete Lamberty

Michael, your boxes are so sweet. I can't help but wondering if you've ever taken them to higher-end jewelry stores - they would be perfect for "THE RING".

Shelley I've never sold these boxes as they are not my design. They are copies of a box I saw in a magazine several years ago and I just figured out how to make them. They as well most of everything I make are for gifting purposes because I enjoy the making and the giving more than anything else. Thanks for the compliment.
    Big Mike