Thread: Relocating Clearvue Cylcone Dust Collector

Relocating Clearvue Cylcone Dust Collector

I am relocating my dust collector (Clearvue CV1800). I have read somewhere that the dust collector can be located in a closet with furnace filters to let the air circulate out.

Have others done this? If yes, how well does it work?

I was thinking about making it optional to exhaust out the building during summer months.

Sounds like an excellent idea! I had often thought about doing something similar just for noise control. I figured I'd have to have a vent, which would hurt my noise control a lot, but furnace filters would probably do a lot better keeping the noise under control than an HVAC vent.

I just finished mine. There's no need for a furnace filter on the outlet, though. You've already filtered the air on the way in

I placed my outlet up top with a baffle so the air circulation will help keep the motor cool.

The noise difference is tremendous. It's not so much the absolute change, but the fact that it moved it from unpleasant zone down to merely loud. I believe there's also a great difference in the frequency distribution, killing off the irritating high-frequency noises and leaving mostly low-frequency stuff, which is easier to tolerate.

Rich,

Ed Morgano just posted a video explaining exactly what you want to do. You can go to his website and look for it. The video shows "before closet" and "after closet"' decibel readings and the drop is significant. Further, you can slightly modify your blower by adding a 1/2" X 1/2" X 5 1/2" piece of wood about 10 1/2" back from the front of the blower. this will reduce noise about 10 decibels by creating a second gore point (noise cancellation). I learned of this because I am just now installing my CV1800 (bought it nine months ago), and in the course of talking to Ed Morgano about installation he mentioned this mod to me. the next thing I knew is that he emailed a "blueprint" telling how to make this simple change. Very helpful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I am relocating my dust collector (Clearvue CV1800). I have read somewhere that the dust collector can be located in a closet with furnace filters to let the air circulate out.

Have others done this? If yes, how well does it work?

I was thinking about making it optional to exhaust out the building during summer months.
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but if you exhaust out, be sure to have a source of makeup air for your furnace. I don't know if you're in a big industrial building, but it's important if you're just in a garage or basement.

I put mine in a closet and have some dB differences on this thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64272
    I used a thicker filter just for more noise reduction but they were fairly easy to find online.
    ClosetFilter1.jpgClosetVent2.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the information guys. I havent been to the Clearvue site in a while. I even fogot about the forum.

When the shop is finished off, I will build a closet around the cyclone like Ed has done and look into the modification for the noise cancellation as Paul suggested.

John, Good point about make up air. However, I am thinking about exhausting outside when heat is not necessary.

BTW, Rich, I used acoustic ceiling tile to line the closet (rockwool's not available around here). I'm seeing a 13db reduction, so it sounds well over half as loud.