Thread: My First Real Piece of Furniture

My First Real Piece of Furniture

In the past, my woodworking was mostly confined to garden boxes and repairs. I made a few small boxes as gifts, but until I retired I had no tilme. It took almost 2 years to complete a "weekend" workbench.

I made a tack trunk for middle daughter. It's not furniture, since it lives in a barn. This chest is for my oldest daughter. Made of QSWO, it came from "Furniture You Can Build." The instructions were pretty unclear, and I made the legs twice. I don't like biscuits for structural joints, and my next one will have loose tenons. Otherwise, I like the design. The best part is my daughter loves it as-is.

I told her I would start on a new one, and she can use the first one as a toy box or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry
    It isn't a mistake unless you can't fix it.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking piece. Keep'em comin'.

I don't know what that acronym means, but since the grain looks oak, I'm assuming QSWO means quarter sawn white oak? And then you stained it dark red?

Quarter Sawn? That's nice! I have never bought QS lumber because it's not common and I just get "regular" budget sawn. heh

So biscuit, glue and clamps?

Doesn't matter if you used biscuits or not because if clamped and glued properly that thing is going to last a long time.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Nice first 'real' piece. Will be looking forward to seeing more from you.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Nice looking piece! I'm with you regarding biscuits, I much rather use real joinning like MT!

Very nice first serious attempt Larry and there's not much your daughter shouldn't like. I have a question... you say you used QS. The side panels look to be flat or rift sawn and I can't tell on the top as it is not visible. Is the top QSWO and the panels flat sawn?

Again... very nicely done and you and your daughter should be proud. Keep up the good work and you will find it gets easier the more you do.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

[QUOTE=Chris Tsutsui;1210244]Quarter Sawn? That's nice! I have never bought QS lumber because it's not common and I just get "regular" budget sawn. heh

Morning Chris. Acually Quarter Sawn White Oak is common depending on where you are I suppose. But.. it is the preferred wood and cut of about every A & C furniture maker in the U.S. as that was the main wood used in A & C for the fleck it shows when quartered. I used over a thousand board feet last year and forturnately not that much more in cost in my area than flat sawn. I pay $4.20 a bd. ft. for QS and the standard flat sawn runs about $2.60 here in Atlanta. A difference but not that much.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler