Thread: Are there two different kinds of Peg-board?

Are there two different kinds of Peg-board?

I'm about to hang some pegboard up in my workshop to hang all my tools. I bought 2 sheets at Home Depot and was about to hang them. I was telling a neighbor about this and he asked "Did you buy the tempered pegboard?"

I didn't know there were two different kinds. The Home Depot only sold one type. Is there a way to tell the difference? Do they even sell non-tempered anymore?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. You know what hardboard is, right?

Put holes in it..

Poof.. Tempered Pegboard.

If it doesn't look like hardboard then it's a lighter material. Not a big issue though unless you're hanging heavy stuff.

Chances are it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg L. Brown View Post
    I didn't know there were two different kinds. The Home Depot only sold one type.
    At the local HD here, they carry the 1/8" and the heavier duty 1/4" pegboard as well. They also sell the 'heavy duty' pegs as well which are made of thicker metal. The 1/4" come in brown, white and silver as well as the familiar brown.

Lowes here also stocks 3/16" tempered pegboard with 1/4" holes with white coating. It is smooth both sides where some of the pegboard has a textured back. I used a scrap piece left over from an earlier project today making the tool stand that Wood Magazine had last year. The 3/16" does not hold the hangers as tight as the 1/4" does, but adequate.

I think they also make a metal peg board also. made from stainless i believe.

Hello,
    Yes - Lowes has (@ least the one down the street from me does) stainless steel pegboard.

Blog Entries
    My BORGs no longer carry tempered pegboard. It is all the soft stuff and only comes in 1/8" and 3/16". My lumber yard will get me 1/4" tempered if I want it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use 2'x2' plastic peg board squares for some of my tools and the LOML has a bunch hanging in the pot and pan closet to hang her kitchen ware on. It is not cheap but is functional. I have a couple of 4'x8' sheets of tempered peg board waiting for installation when I get around to covering the wall of my pole barn. I like the tempered so much more than the non tempered. The larger peg holes work much better than the small ones for holding the pegs.
    David B

Regardless, I've used the 3/16" pegboard from HD whether it's tempered or not, to good effect. It'll be fine. Your happiness with yr pegboard will be more a function of the types of hooks you use.

Regardless, I've used the 3/16" pegboard from HD whether it's tempered or not, to good effect. It'll be fine. Your happiness with yr pegboard will be more a function of the types of hooks you use.
    Good point Shawn. I plan to put a dab of hot melt glue on each peg-hook, which someone around here recommended. Sounds like great idea, and my old peghooks are always falling off.

Still, if I'm going to spend all the time hanging it, I want the most durable product. I'm pretty sure it's tempered, so I should be good to go (it's smooth and "harder" on one side).

Thanks.

Tempered is smooth and hard on both sides, btw
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Just another idea. I use 1/2" plywood instead of peg board. Drive nails wherever you want to hang something. If you want to change the layout, pull the nail and drive another one. It does not have the flexibility of moving stuff around as easy as pegboard, but if you are gluing the pegs in to keep them from falling out that feature is not being used anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Just another idea. I use 1/2" plywood instead of peg board. Drive nails wherever you want to hang something. If you want to change the layout, pull the nail and drive another one. It does not have the flexibility of moving stuff around as easy as pegboard, but if you are gluing the pegs in to keep them from falling out that feature is not being used anyway.
    That's what I do now. Doesn't look quite as nice, but a whole lot cheaper and customizable. I have yet to come across a good pegboard screwdriver holder that beats a 2x4 with holes drilled into it, screwed to a wall. I also use a couple magnet strips that are great for holding scissors and oft-used driver bits.

If you love pegboard, check out the talon hooks.