Thread: Prefinished plywood in Atlanta area.

Prefinished plywood in Atlanta area.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of prefinished maple or birch in the Atlanta area? This may be asking too much, but is there any such beast as prefinished domestic plywood? Thanks for the help.

I have never heard of it and I don't think it exist even though I suppose it could? If you pre-finished a piece of ply.. how difficult would it be for a cabinet shop to match face-frames, etc.? That's probably the question you need to ask and it basically gives you the answer.

Call Atlanta Hardwoods.. Suwanee Lumber.. Peachtree Lumber on Tuesday after Labor Day and simply ask. But I think you will get the answer on the first call and probably already have it.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Yes it does exist. states industries product is called novaply and columbia forest products' material is called uvwood, I'm sure there are others and both are domestic products, I believe.States has Georgia hardwoods inc as a distributer and Columbia lists Cumberland wood products,A & M supply, Atlanta hardwoods inc and Dixie plywood as distributers so I would start with one of those guys.
    Prefinished ply is used mostly for interiors so matching really isn't a problem. What it is is a huge time and money saver if you want to use something other than melamine for cabinet interiors.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S Stockton View Post
    Yes it does exist. states industries product is called novaply and columbia forest products' material is called uvwood, I'm sure there are others and both are domestic products, I believe.States has Georgia hardwoods inc as a distributer and Columbia lists Cumberland wood products,A & M supply, Atlanta hardwoods inc and Dixie plywood as distributers so I would start with one of those guys.
    Prefinished ply is used mostly for interiors so matching really isn't a problem. What it is is a huge time and money saver if you want to use something other than melamine for cabinet interiors.
    Tom
    Thanks for the in-put Thomas as I frankly had no clue. I only use ply for drawer bottoms.. dust backs.. etc. and 3 sheets a year do me so I am not familar with finished. Do they stock it or is it special order. I needed some 1/4" QSWO ply once and found it is made. But.. it had to be special ordered and just a couple of sheets made it out of reach for me with transportation charges. I know Suwanee (my source since early 70's) doesn't stock it or I would have seen it.

But good to know as you never know when a need might pop up..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Wurth, 4467-A Park Drive, Norcross GA 30093, (678-924-0386) stocks Columbia Forest Products line. Several veneers and thicknesses. It's a real time saver for boxes.

For me the quality is good enough for cabinet box interiors but for exposed parts I don't much care for the look. I know there are various grades and that some manufacturers make a nicer finish but I've never looked into it.
    Tom

Update...

I picked up the novaply today. It was about $14 more than the Chiwood prefinished which is worth it for me. I think this product will be great for case interiors.

Suwanee does carry UV

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Thanks for the in-put Thomas as I frankly had no clue. I only use ply for drawer bottoms.. dust backs.. etc. and 3 sheets a year do me so I am not familar with finished. Do they stock it or is it special order. I needed some 1/4" QSWO ply once and found it is made. But.. it had to be special ordered and just a couple of sheets made it out of reach for me with transportation charges. I know Suwanee (my source since early 70's) doesn't stock it or I would have seen it.

But good to know as you never know when a need might pop up..

I have bought around 10 sheets in the last 3 weeks there. They carry it in 1/4, 3/8, and 3/4 and I think they have the 3/8 and 3/4 in both sides finished or single side finished. I like the stuff for cab interiors a lot. Not that expensive either considering it's decent quality ply - I think the single sided 3/4 is like $35 and the double sided is like $5 more. They don't have it in the main area at the top of the hill - it's down the hill in the first shed on the left. Ask the guys and they will direct you to where it is.