Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1642 Balast & Storage

1642 Balast & Storage

After doing quite a bit of research and 'borrowing' some ideas from others who were nice enough to share, I am now sharing what I came up with.

I do not consider myself much of a FB'er, although I have managed to cut and glue some things at right angles that I am proud of, this was built as a 1) learning experience, 2) be useful enough to store some of my lathe stuff to keep it away from shavings and dust, and 3) add some more weight to my machine. The fit and finish aren't perfect, but my ultimate goal was to learn and have something useful.

I used scrap maple plywood for most of it, but did buy some maple for the fronts and top banding. This project also gave me the opportunity to make use of the Kreg jig I have. I pretty much went crazy with it; but everything is ultimately glued and screwed together. Oh, I did turn the knobs out of walnut. The bottom drawer is full extension and the top drawers are 3/4. As you can see, I did not attempt to match the slope of the legs, just square. It really does not get in the way, and I also left about 3" under the bed for shaving storage, er, place to put tools for temporary storage and enough room to get my hands underneath the ways. One other thing, the hinges I used for the door are a pain. You have to swing the door all the way around in order to slide the drawers out. I got these because I didn't have to screw into end-grain plywood. Anyway, I need to get different hinges...

We all like pics - I'll post some more below...
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics

Here are some pics of:

- another front/open drawer pic
    - view of my awesome (sic) pocket joinery
    - top drawer of stuff - oh, not to throw fire on the long debate of making your own tools, but does anyone recognize the former stanley screwdriver on the right? And, what its now used for?
    - front shot of everything closed - plus my latest tool storage against the wall - still not enough, of course!
    - how I enclose myself in an attempt to contain some of the shavings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you put some thought into it .I did a drawers under mine but left the other side open. I made a drawer base on wheels to hold the grinder and for storage for sanding supplys , tools , all the jamb chucks that I have made, extra tools ect..On the bottom of my box I put some heavy rubber to the ground to keep the shavings form going under .But I realy like some of your ideas, might need to change some things on mine.

Chris that is a great job. Really like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris - that is just pretty! Looks like it should work very well for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks good, you are right, you used a lot of pocket screws. Should hold together.

Nice work Chris. I like your "shower stall" debris containment.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Looks like you put some thought into it .I did a drawers under mine but left the other side open. I made a drawer base on wheels to hold the grinder and for storage for sanding supplys , tools , all the jamb chucks that I have made, extra tools ect..On the bottom of my box I put some heavy rubber to the ground to keep the shavings form going under .But I realy like some of your ideas, might need to change some things on mine.
    Thanks for all of the comments. Its just feels nice to get ideas from others, apply my own a design, and then share it. I think that's one of the good things about this forum. I don't mind if people copy and improve on my ideas - that's why I posted pics. Its an effective way for us to all learn and broaden our abilities.

As to the pics (carried over from the pens I posted), I found a way to reduce the size and quality to get them to upload; just used MS Office Picture Manager to resize them.

Now only if I could start producing those magnificent HF's I keep seeing around here.....

Chris that is really nice and looks extremely functional. I need to get off my butt and make something similar for my Jet!

John

Outstanding !

That is very nice work Chris ! Great job on the cabinet. I like my Kreg jig too. Nicely organized, but way too clean. The enclosure looks like it should work real well.

I also like your Stanley faceplate centering tool.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Very nice set up. I too like the "shower curtain" idea, may have to borrow that idea.

I would only add one thing; the top of the cabinet might catch a lot of shavings. Maybe a slanted top towards the back would keep much of the "droppings" away from your feet and out of your pockets, pants cuffs, shoes, etc.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Dimemsions

Chris,

I like your design. I have a 3520b and am presently building storage below it. I will incorporate some of your ideas. I particularly like not making the top narrower so it serves to increase drawer depth and give a little "shelf" to set things like sanding disks on.

Question--What is the height from the plywood shelf (at bottom) to the bottom of your lathe ways? I am looking at about 16-17 inches on my PM . The distance on your Jet looks like it is taller--is it an illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by William Payer View Post
    Chris,

I like your design. I have a 3520b and am presently building storage below it. I will incorporate some of your ideas. I particularly like not making the top narrower so it serves to increase drawer depth and give a little "shelf" to set things like sanding disks on.

Question--What is the height from the plywood shelf (at bottom) to the bottom of your lathe ways? I am looking at about 16-17 inches on my PM . The distance on your Jet looks like it is taller--is it an illusion?
    I haven't gone out to measure, but I think I know where the difference comes in. If you look at the specs between the two machines, here:
    http://www.powermatic.com/Products.a...001&cat=332178
    and here:
    http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...360&cat=333132

The PM spindle height is 44" and the Jet is 44 1/2". Now, working down from this height:

When you take into consideration your larger swing, your bed is actually 2" lower than mine (2 1/2" with the added spindle height). Plus, it looks like your bed is a little more beefier than mine (more depth). I don't know about the height of the u-shaped brackets.

I built the cabinet approximately 18" tall. That left me about 3" on the sides under the ways and a bit less in the middle.

Oh, the plywood (5/8") sits on top of the u-shaped brackets in the legs. I did hang the ballast weight a bit so the bags of sand fit. They were thicker than a 2x4, but less than a 2x6. I just ripped a 2x6, but notched the ends to keep the top flush with the u-bracket. There are two bags of play sand and some old granite tiles down there for weight.

I suppose you could attempt to construct something with a similar idea - hang it off of the brackets so 1) the center of gravity is lower, and 2) you can gain height for storage.

If you need actual measurements or pictures, let me know, and I'll put something together.

Post some pics when you finish it. It will be cool to see what you come up with. Good luck.

I built a tool cabinet on casters to fit under my PM3520b. The slots at each end contain scissors jacks to raise the lathe up to move it.

The cabinet is 24" deep, with full extension drawer slides. The cabinet is centered under the lathe for moving, and in use it is pushed back to be flush with the lathe bed, so as to not be in the way.phpT9A1hSAM[1].jpgphpDEUDYePM[1].jpg
    Last edited by Don Bunce; 03-06-2015 at 1:21 PM.

I LOVE that jack and move setup! Pure genius.