Thread: Surplus or Used Lathe Parts

Surplus or Used Lathe Parts

Does anyone know of a place that sells surplus or used lathe tools. I am looking for a tool rest support for that old lathe I have cleaned up. The original support uses a nut and bolt to secure to the bed and takes any fun out of turning because it is so slow moving around. I don't mind the nut and bolt on the tailstock because you don't move it as much but the tool rest you move all the time. I tried to epoxy a wrench onto the nut but there isn't enough room to turn and loosen the nut and support.

I think it is a Rockwell/Delta sometime before 1948 with 1-3/4" space between bed rails.

Any help in locating a support would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Hello Dick That looks like a 3/8 nut and rod just by looking at your pic.
    Do you know someone that welds? why dont you just weld a rod on a nut and that will give you some leverage to make it easy to tighten and loosen? If you can't find anyone that welds give me a PM with the size nut and how long you wan't the lever to be and I will hookyou up with something that will work
    Jim

How about epoxying a socket to the nut? Maybe try a hair smaller and use a pursuader such as a hammer to "apply" it.
    Greg

Hey Dick

Now that I see the pic I think what Jim said will work fine. It's similar to the setup on my craftsman lathe. Mine actually has a threaded bolt that screws down into the bottom piece & there is a swivel bar on the rod for leverage when tightening & loosening it. It does get in the way a little when I'm reaching the limits of the swing of my lathe - but it works OK.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

I noted that I tried that after Tom suggested it about a week ago. I can only get about 1/4-1/3 of a turn on the nut which isn't enough to let the rest assembly move. The rest is between the head and the tailstock and there just isn't any room to move the wrench.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick here is a rough drawing of what I'm talking about.
    It shouldn't be any higher than the nut you have on it now. you might have to add a washer to make it come out to where its at a easy spot to turn it. or if its welded on the nut on the right spot it will work great!
    Thats just an option from buying a new setup?
    Jim

You can probably find a piece like that from Reid Tool
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-14-2004 at 8:21 AM.

Dick,

Why not just buy a new tool rest, Amazon has them for $50 and some change with free shipping. About the best price around, I've seen them sell on ebay for a lot more. I think newer Delta lathes have a 2" bed gap, but that shouldn't be a big problem. I also might have another source in Ohio, so email if you are interested.

John

Amazon Delta Tool Rest

Dick,

Some additional thoughts:
    Look at current production lathes - there may be a mounting device that will drop right in, or be easily modified to work with your older lathe. Parts are usually easy to get for newer product.

Try adjustable handles (like the drawing from McMaster Carr). They are the type that pull out to reposition - the handle acting like a captured wrench. This one is item #6271K29 less than $8. Lots of different sizes.

The picture below is of a part I made up for a little 4" jointer. The handle works like a vice handle and slides from side to side to avoid obstructions but still give you some leverage. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Jim, that is what I did and there is not enough room to move back and forth to loosen the nut up being between the tailstock and the head of the lathe.

John, I looked at the Delta support last night on the web but right now funds are tight so I was looking for something used.

Wes, a friend suggested the adjustable handle and it was a thought but would limit how far I could move the tool rest under a piece of wood.

So I was up late last night thinking about it and decided to modify the bottom clamp pad (off the old lathe) to fit both the old lathe and my Jet Mini and just use the tool rest support off my Jet Mini. There is just enough reach to turn a 12" piece of wood.

It works great. I just had to file an 1/8" off each side to fit the space between the mini's bed rails. I also had to take about a thread and half off of the mini's cam screw to clear the old lathes rail supports. Now I can use it for both lathes. I will still be on the lookout for a larger used support so that I don't have to switch back and forth, but for now it will work ok.

Thanks again eveyone.
    Last edited by Dick Parr; 09-14-2004 at 4:04 PM.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Cool solution Dick. It looks like you just needed some soak time!

Wes