Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brand new Grizzly G0691 - the tunnion bounces on startup

Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    John,

The fact that I stated doesn't make it true. You miss my point, as you accuse others of missing yours. My point is that Grizzly didn't become the largest supplier of industrial machines in the world by selling poor quality products. Of course, there are problems with some of their products, as with any company. But, by and large, many people are quite pleased with their products and their customer service. YOU may not be, for whatever reason. That doesn't change the fact that many others are pleased. It's a no brainer.

From your very first post in this thread you exhibited a negative attitude towards Grizzly. That's your right to do so. If you don't like their products, don't buy 'em. Like all of us, you, too, have choices.

As for myself, yes, I'm very pleased with the Grizzly machines that I have and am satisfied with the way that they have resolved any and all issues that I've had with their machines and parts to my complete and total satisfaction. They have earned by loyalty.

Best Wishes,
    Stephen, please don't mistake my comments about chinese manufacturers as being an idictment of Grizzly. I thought I made this clear in post #32, but after re-reading what I wrote, I can see how you and others might interpret it that way. I REALLY should have worded that better. My only defense is that my 15 month old woke up and was fussing. Yeah, pretty weak, but it's the truth and the best I got.

To be very clear, I have no axe to grind against Grizzly. In my opinion, they do a much better than average job at customer service and appear to work very hard to ensure quality products are imported. I've owned a few of their tools, got what I paid for, and have kept an eye on them over the years.

About a month ago I posted a message here (at least I think it was here) about how impressed I was with their offerings at AWFS, particularly their new, small Euro slider. Nicely done for the price!!! I think I even recommended it to a fellow here who wanted a slider but said Felder/Hammer/MM, etc., were out of his price range.

The point I was blathering about is that problems with Chinese made products, when they occur, are too often the result of their approach to quality, which is, it is the responsibility of the buyer. This is why Grizzly and other importers place QC people at the site. This is a well known and documented problem that the Chinese are trying to turn around. Are they there yet? No, I don't think they are. When will they get there, if ever? I have no idea. I'd invite you to re-read post #32 in this context.

Another side issue and what motivated some of my more snarky comments is what appears to be a curiously strong, ummmm, shall we say "brand loyalty" for Grizzly that seems to be present here. Being happy with your tools is one thing, but some of the comments and statements I've read on this forum (not necessarily this thread) are downright funny. Envision a gaggle of high school girls gushing over the star quarterback. Except in this case, the girls are chubby, balding, middle aged guys covered in sawdust. Now picture them holding pom-pom's..... To be honest, it's sometimes hard to resist poking a bit of fun at it. That's my perception anyway. Could I be wrong on that? Very possibly.

At the end of the day it's just woodworking. No reason any of us should pop a vein over it.

Regards,

John
    Last edited by John Harden; 09-11-2009 at 5:04 PM.

Over many years at my former job,and for home use,I have purchased several Grizzly machines. I have not had a problem with any of them. I thought I had a problem with a 16" metal lathe(turned out it just needed to be isolated from concrete. Most gear head lathes don't seem to have this problem,but they cost much more.)

The customer service I got with the lathe issue was very cooperative. I was treated with excellent service when I went to Williamsport to buy machinery.

You MUST remember that imported Asian machines are made at incredibly low prices,and a few problems can crop up. When I was young,owning much anything like we have within our means today was nearly impossible. Even poorly made USA stuff was VERY expensive. Choices on things like planers were very limited (Parks and Belsaw?). The Parks was not well built,and their 12" planer's feed gearboxes always broke down. I look at old Sears catalogs,and see that in many cases,we are paying 1950's prices for things we can buy today.

I think we are lucky to have these options today.At the same time,it really bothers me that we aren't manufacturing much anything anymore. I think it is pitiful that the LEAST little thing we do make has to have a big American flag plastered on it.Like,HEY!! We made something!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-11-2009 at 6:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    AMEN. End of discussion!

So...does that mean that it is too late for me to wave my "Grizzly banner"?

Rats...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    So...does that mean that it is too late for me to wave my "Grizzly banner"?

Rats...
    HA!!! Its never too late, but please use a pom-pom. Makes for a better visual.....

What, another damaged Grizzly machine!!! No way.

Seriously, I hope the new saw works out for your. Let us know what the problem was/is and good luck with the new one.

*Heads back to shop full of WWII era tools* snicker

Just once more I'd like to point out that shipping damage is not always the fault of the shipper. I'm shocked at how poorly packaged somethings I receive are. The Powermatic Mortiser (small broken item) for example. Many of the pictures here of damaged machines show crating (it's generous to call that crating) that is rediculously cheap and inadequate. I've also received machines that were incredibly well packaged.

Why would someone import expensive tools on cheap crates? To save money. I'm sure a bean counter or MBA somewhere runs the numbers and finds that it's cheaper to have some small percentage of customers have machines break in shipping than it is to just package them right in the first place.

I haven't bought Grizzly yet. One reason is that I don't trust their crating to survive shippers. I suspect they know their crating in marginal. I'd be happy to pay the extra $10 or so it would cost to have these things properly crated in China.

7. As of this afternoon, Mr. Shannon called and requested that a link belt might fix the problem. Maybe he will elaborate since this thread seems to have taken a life of its own and people have begun theorizing and estimating crating costs.

By the way, it costs a heck of a lot more than $10.00 to even improve crating nowadays. Been there, done that, many times over. With our wood fumigation laws and so on, the cost of wood crating has gone sky high. We sometimes pay $250.00 extra to have a proper crate on a larger machine. In some cases the "proper" crating also increases cube which increases the cost of shipping.

The belts may well be the cause. Picked up replacement belts for my DP and the vibration issue was solved. Try to buy Gates; they seem to be manufactured consistently. Bought mine at a car parts store; worked perfectly.
    And regarding Griz, have their TS, BS, DP and jointer. Wish other sellers had the same concern for customer satisfaction; would have much happier time with my other purchases.
    Seems like a few folks commenting here have more of a problem with chafing than with the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    As of this afternoon, Mr. Shannon called and requested that a link belt might fix the problem.
    How could that possibly keep the trunion from jumping?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can see where a belt placed on table saw and left there for months without being started can develop a "memory" of where on the belt the pulleys are located.

I can see where these "memory bulges" can cause vibration when the machine is first turned on.

I can see how this might make a motor jump if the motor is mounted on a pivot or hinge that is springloaded to maintain a constant belt tension.

I can't see how this jump should make a trunnion jump/vibrate or move the blade. That shouldn't happen.

We will need some explanations here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Folks, we're waaaaaay off-topic here.

We're supposed to be helping the poor OP who got a defective saw.

This is not an appropriate thread for trashing foreign-made tools (or each other).

You Creekers are better than this. Please knock it off.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    AMEN. End of discussion!

This thread makes me want to purchase more Grizzly products. I sure wish Grizzly sold shop space...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Folks, we're waaaaaay off-topic here.

We're supposed to be helping the poor OP who got a defective saw.

This is not an appropriate thread for trashing foreign-made tools (or each other).

You Creekers are better than this. Please knock it off.

Jason

Guys, I'm truly sorry. Frankly I'm shocked that people seem to keep pointing out my post as one of the more hostile ones in this thread. It clearly did not come across the way I intended!

I didn't call anybody names, imply that they were lying, or accuse others of having no self respect, unlike many of the other posts in this thread... I was simply trying to say that the argument needs to end and that it's pointless. Sheesh!