Thread: Someone elses cabinet

Someone elses cabinet

Bought this cabinet unfinished... and a little rough... from someone at work. Filled the screw holes, touched up the doors and drawers, changed the hardware with some I already had. Polished off with American Pecan stain and 2 or 3 coats of wipe on poly.

Not always the most satisfying to finish someone else's construction, there are a few details I just have to live with. Here are a few before and after pictures, let me know what you think, especially since I'm not that invested in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add some crown molding at the top and replace the lower doors, or at least the "struck-by-lightning" plywood center panels. It'd look might purdy then.

Actually, when I first acquired it, there was baseboard around the top and bottom. I replaced both with a 1x4 skirt and crown, just with the edges knocked off. The doors, however, I agree with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks pretty good with the exception of those doors Pete. I would replace them as they are the weak link on this piece. The molding and base is more of a personal preference. BTW.. a world of difference in before and after.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice work on the refinishing job! Unfortunately, looks like the original builder used SYP plywood for the sides, and for the door panels Not sure replacing the doors would help a lot as they match the sides. I am not big on painting pieces, but this may be one of those times!

I had thought to paint just the door fronts, or overlay a piece of beadboard; but those are both steps that are difficult to undo. I'll probably leave it like this for a while and see what strikes us as the best choice in a few months. I do appreciate the commentary though.