Thread: Dewalt 735 Planer - Cyclone Trash Can Lid

Question Dewalt 735 Planer - Cyclone Trash Can Lid

I have my Dewalt 735 planer connected to one of the Woodcraft trash can cyclone lids prior to going into my new 2hp dust collector. I noticed today that if I run the planer and the dust collector at the same time, the planer really stirs up the dust in the trash can and empties it into the dust collector. Tomorrow I am going to try it without the new dust collector turned on. I suspect the planer will just blow the chips into the trash can. I have the lid tied down, so that should not be a problem. What do you guys do in this situation? Thanks

Leo,
    Before I got my Oneida Cyclone, I used the accessory DW sellls to go on a trash can. That worked well, and I just put he chips into a lined trash can. Now I don't use it anymore as the cyclone is easier to use.

I think it may work fine, just make sure to have your DC hooked up to the other side to contain the dust/chips flying out.

Here's what I did - the last two pictures show my version of a Phil Thien baffle. I don't have a dust collector, so I had to make something work using the built-in chip extraction fan on the DeWalt 735. My conclusion was that the trash can "cyclone" lids are a waste of time and (fortunately not too much) money. Why don't you just hook up your planer directly to your dust collector?

Google Phil Thein, and look for my post over at NC Woodworker "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." My cyclone is in the back of the shop, but I use my 15" planer on the front apron. I got tired of sending chips to the back, and then hauling them back to the front for disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bratt View Post
    Here's what I did - the last two pictures show my version of a Phil Thien baffle. I don't have a dust collector, so I had to make something work using the built-in chip extraction fan on the DeWalt 735. My conclusion was that the trash can "cyclone" lids are a waste of time and (fortunately not too much) money. Why don't you just hook up your planer directly to your dust collector?

I like that planer stand Jim built , does anyone know of plans for this stand or the dimensions of this ?

I think just yesterday a couple of us left some pics and info on a thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119804
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gerard View Post
    I like that planer stand Jim built , does anyone know of plans for this stand or the dimensions of this?
    If you meant Jeff - I'll sent you a copy of the sketches I used in construction of my planer stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bratt View Post
    If you meant Jeff - I'll sent you a copy of the sketches I used in construction of my planer stand...
    Jeff
    Im sorry I got your name mixed up , I clicked the link without reading the entire post . ( I have a bad habit of doing that )

Yes I would like a copy of them if its not to much trouble . Your design is exactly what I was looking to do , only better . I wanted something with storage and table extensions built into it .

BTW you have a great web site with some neat ideas for jigs.
    Thanks
    Jerry

I used to run my DeWalt 735 into a DC with a trash can lid separator in line without issue. It was not the wood craft lid I'm pretty sure, but I really don't remember where I got it. It has an elbow on the inlet side that sits in the can. You can aim it away from the out let side toward the side of the can to drop chips and create a cyclonic type action. I used to fill the can nearly to the top before the collector started pulling anything to its bag. I think with the planer I will normally empty 5-7 full garbage cans before the collector dust bag is 1/4 full? Not all trash can lid separators are created equal it seems.

PS: i also used the 735 with the dust shroud directly on a trash can and that works well, but you get no warning when the can is full, the shroud pops off, and a volcano of chips erupts every where, so check early and often.

This is what I did to solve the problem:

http://stephenedisonedwards.com/dust...seperator.html

It's crude but works perfectly. I seldom have to empty the bag on the DC unit, as someone else mentioned about their separator, too.

One project on my to do list is to add a Thien baffle, one day. I just haven't got around to it yet. I'm trying so hard to find a roundtuit, but they are out of stock everywhere I look! I'm curious to know if a baffle will increase the efficiency of the system, since I'm using a larger container than a trash can.

The problem that I had before adding the separator was that the larger debris from a planer would clog the intake port of the DC unit. They were clogging up at the little metal cross piece that protects the blades from pieces of wood that may get sucked into the system.

Have fun working out your solution!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    They were clogging up at the little metal cross piece that protects the blades from pieces of wood that may get sucked into the system.
    I fixed that problem. I cut it out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

12. This problem stems from the open space between the lid and the bottom of the can. Between the vacuum from the dust collector and the fan in the planer, everything hits the dust pile in the bottom of the can, which takes it out of the cyclonic motion crweated by the lid and the DC sucks it back up. The solution is to install a baffle between the inlet side of the lid and the inside of the can. The most popular version of this is from Phil Thien http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm who kept it simple. You can read about it at the link I provided. There are many more, but I just cut out a piece of plywood with the OD the diameter of the can at the depth of the Woodcraft inlet elbow, then cut a channel 240 degrees around the can and located as shown on Thien's site. I mounted the baffle using 3 1/2" bolts that go through the lid, some 3 "long pieces of plastic water line and through the plywood. You've just converted the Woodcraft lid into one with a Thien Baffle and no more problems

10 year old thread.