Thread: Double Cutting Board

Double Cutting Board

Here is my latest cutting board. Not sure what all of the types of wood are though. I bought a Craft Pack from Woodcraft with various types of wood. This ones for my sister. She always says the boards are too pretty to cut on so I found this idea on line. Had some left-over so I made trivets also
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice looking Mark... and I will have to confess I had to pull out the Webster's to find out what a trivet was. Country boy's don't get out much it appears. Yeah.. way to nice to cut on as your sister said. But paint on new trucks is way to nice and it was designed to be a truck so...

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Board looks great. One question regarding the trivets, though. How thick are the strips in the middle? Are they veneers? I ask because I would be concerned about trapping the wood in a mitered frame. When the strips expand won't they split the frame?

They are 3/8" thick. Never thought about the corners blowing out. Only time will tell

Yes, the miters look like they will blow out. Additionally, what finish did you use? It looks like a film finish, which wouldn't be food safe.

Hi Mark

Those are nice looking boards, I have a question I would like to ask if you don't mind. The cutting board on the 1st picture, thats not a end grain board?? Would it get chop up faster than end grain??

I was talking to a guy who was selling cutting boards at the State Fair who claimed that the primary advantage of end grain was how well it stood up to the chopping action of a butcher's cleaver, and that if you were just cutting, long grain worked better.

As for the first point, that end grain stands up to chopping better, that seems self-evident.

The second point, that there is less of a difference when cutting, seems plausible.

The third point, that long grain is actually better for cutting, I'm not sure I agree with.

The unstated point, though, is that endgrain is a lot more work, and plenty of people have decided that the gain, if any, isn't worth it.

Thanks Jeff, end grain is a LOT of work, I just finished my 1st cutting board and I made it into a end grain. WOW it it took a long time.

I've made cutting boards as gifts for two years now using face grain for the same reason. A lot of work for end grain for little gain. Besides, face grain has been so easy to repair and looks much better IMO. Just a minute with a sander or smoother/scraper, wipe on some mineral oil, and just like new!

Face grain is easier but you can do those cool designs with end grain.
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

Mark,
    I really like that. Is the one that slides out the actual "cutting board", and the other a cover, or is this actually two cutting board's in one?

Very nice looking at any rate