Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your most used, self made tool?

Hi Cliff

Those are just too pretty to use! Stunning work and choice of woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

On your bow saw (which is gorgeous, btw), did you make the brass part of the handle that holds the blade? Was wondering how you handled that. Your blade looks a lot like the turbo cut 400 I bought from Highland to put on my bow saw (if it ever gets from the hickory plank stage to something vaguely saw shaped) .

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Ober View Post
    Just a few for me:

bow saw

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Cliff

Those are just too pretty to use! Stunning work and choice of woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, it's much appreciated!

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    On your bow saw (which is gorgeous, btw), did you make the brass part of the handle that holds the blade? Was wondering how you handled that. Your blade looks a lot like the turbo cut 400 I bought from Highland to put on my bow saw (if it ever gets from the hickory plank stage to something vaguely saw shaped) .

Thanks, Jerome.

Yes, I did make the blade clamps from silicon-bronze carriage bolts. What's a bit unusual is that they allow the blade to be *locked* by tightening the handles. Some folks have problems with the blade on bow saws turning while in use; that can't happen with this one.

There is a threaded brass insert installed in each arm of the saw, and the bolt is threaded into that (I had to increase the thread length of the bolt shanks). The handles also have inserts, and they act as jam nuts when tightened to prevent rotation.

I initially started out with one of the "Turbo-Cut" blades, but abandoned it as being too aggressive and hard to cut with in this type of saw. It would grab and jump excessively, so I made the saw blade shown from a piece cut from the back of an old saw plate. I filed the teeth by hand, and it works very nicely.

Cliff

Here's a couple I made

12" Bowsaw

A 3 point (pyramid) and a half round turning tool

A shooting board

A brass plane hammer

Some burnishers

An Awl and Marking Knife

But I think the most used are my workbench and my tool cabinet
    Dominic Greco

What a great thread! I'd much rather see shop-made tools than read about an off-the-shelf tool purchase. Thanks to Bob for the OP. I'm not posting any of my own, since most of my shop-made stuff are run of the mill jigs (mdf shooting board, etc). But I recognize several items on my "to-build" list in Robert's post. Hmmm, maybe I'll find some free time this weekend to start on these...
    Mark Maleski

Keep posting tools!!! Great thread.

My little Block Plane

I haven't made a lot of tools but here is my sweetest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

This might be a bit off topic, but the one tool I have made that I have used the most in my life is not a woodworking tool, its this 3lb right hand quarter pein hammer, that was the center of my smithing career.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

This is one of the best threads I have seen in any wood work forums. It is my one passion. We have a house full of antiques and old collectibles.

My aim is to refit my workshop with old collectible and hand made tools. I started off with a copy of a simple awl a friend gave to me and down the slope I went.

I have made a heap of awls to give away as presents, a carpenter's mallet, a Mike Wenzloff style dovetail saw. On the horizon are some marking gauges, wood planes, bow saw, and off course some more brass backed saws.

Thanks for sharing. You are all an inspiration.

Peter.

I hope the Mods on this site appreciate the quality of all these photos and the thread is not lost in time.

i suggest it should be a keeper and added to the library or as a " Sticky ".

I beat you too the punch Peter, My Demo Shop is all Antiques or Hand Made Tools and the whole mobile shop is in this trailer.

Its a real joy to me to go to living history and steam shows and let the modern people see what the tools of yesterday were like and also to show them how they were used.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Here are a few more ...

Chip carving knives (a gift I made for Galootaclaus a few years back) ..

My favourite dovetail gauge (1:7) .. "the dovetailed dovetail gauge" (a joke!) ..

Fibonacci gauge (in Tasmanaina Blackwood, my favourite wood) ...

... with handmade brass rivets

Another Galootaclaus gift ....

At one stage I made a lot of these brass dovetail gauges for gifts and sold a bunch as well ... (1:5 through 1;8)

Stairsaw ..

Small crosscut saw ...

Plane setting hammer ... mine alongside Dave's.

Must go ... more at a later time ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Plane Blades

I have several home made plane blades.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I beat you too the punch Peter, My Demo Shop is all Antiques or Hand Made Tools and the whole mobile shop is in this trailer.

Its a real joy to me to go to living history and steam shows and let the modern people see what the tools of yesterday were like and also to show them how they were used.

Harry, I would expect nothing less from someone who comes from a long list of famous Nebraskans and places.

Boys Town
    The kellogs Corporation
    Warren Buffett
    Omaha Beach
    Airforce one hiding place at the Strategic Command Headquarters
    Omaha Steaks

Let's see what more I can add. I know, one Harry Strasil.

They even have a fair tennis player Andy Roddick. How's that information from someone in Australia. Off the top of my head and not researched by Google.

O dear, I almost forgot the most important of all. ' The Huskers ' The University football team based in Lincoln.

" Go Big Red "

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Bell; 09-11-2009 at 9:50 PM.