Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your most used, self made tool?

Omaha beach is on the coast of france, I have never had an Omaha steak, and I don't care for football, LOL I did have a daughter that went on a Lookinglass flight when she was in Civil Air Patrol, Looking Glass is/was the 24/7 airborne command post out of Strategic Air Command "Offut" at Omaha.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 09-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

self made plane blades

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nardi View Post
    I have several home made plane blades.
    Really? How? From what?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    Really? How? From what?
    Yep. Loosen the lips and do tell us.

This thread could take us anywhere.

Peter.

Wow Harry, amazing trailer you've got there.. I can imagine the fond memories you must have of doing demo's around the country.

Very impressive

Regards
    Ray

This is unbeleavable! I just started in woodworking a year ago and using only handtools in my little 10x10 shop. I made a few of my own tools like mallet, shoothing board, planeing jack. Of course a banch and now I'm working on a Krenov style plane, it should be done by the end of the week end, I try to post pictures!
    Like someone said, this is the best thread ever!!
    Thank you

My most used shopmade tool is probably a neck and neck battle between my Small smoothing plane

and my recently completed Large smoother

However, my favourite has to be the small shoulder plane, it's so handy for tickling joints into shape.

Cheers

Aled

Hi Aled

Nice work on your planes.

That small smoother of yours looks very familiar!

Here is mine (and unique I thought) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, I'd like to return the compliment, your plane also looks lovely. I do think that your plane looks more authoritive though, with that MASSIVE iron.

Although both planes look very similar, there are a number of differences, the largest being that mine is fully dovetailed, whereas I believe that yours is screwed/peined. I'm currently working (well, i'm not actually working as much as I'd like on it, my family and day job keep getting in the way) on a version of this plane that I'm going to make available as a kit in the not too distant future.

My large smoother is screwed/peined and I must admit that I found that method quite frustrating. I broke two taps in the sole of my first attempt, so had to bin it - O1 steel is a bugger to cut threads in, and I believe that I may have been using cheap chinese taps . At the time I vowed never to build a plane using this method ever again, but I'm now begining to re-consider the idea and am looking for a tapping tool on e-bay, and using standard Mild steel as opposed to O1, we'll see how it goes.

Carry on with the good work Derek, you certainly set the bar for the rest of us.

Cheers

Aled

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Ober View Post
    Just a few for me:

mallets

Cliff
    Cliff...What kind of wood did you use for the mallet heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sears View Post
    Cliff...What kind of wood did you use for the mallet heads?

Hi Jim,

It's southern live oak. It's great for mallets; these are proving to be very durable. The wood isn't much good as dimensional lumber, but makes nice turnings. It takes a very smooth surface finish that belies the coarse appearance of the grain. I like it!

Cliff

I'm currently working (well, i'm not actually working as much as I'd like on it, my family and day job keep getting in the way) on a version of this plane that I'm going to make available as a kit in the not too distant future.

Well Aled, I have seen the quality of one of your kits (on the forum) and it looks excellent, really excellent. If I was not already rich in shoulder planes (and am busy on a block and a plough), I would go for the shoulder plane.

The choice of this small smoother is a good one for many to start with. If it helps, you are welcome to point all in the direction of my article on infilling it - it goes into somewhat obsessive detail, but then it was written for those that need a little nudge to take the first steps.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...ootherKit.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Aled, I would like to see more pictures of that rebate plane, if you have them. . .

Could be the resolution on my monitor, but I can't tell precisely how it was put together.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    Aled, I would like to see more pictures of that rebate plane, if you have them. . .

Could be the resolution on my monitor, but I can't tell precisely how it was put together.
    Check out my website, there are full details of the plane on there, and if you'd like a PDF of the assembly instructions, I'd be more than happy to e-mail them to you.

http://www.infillplane.co.uk

Cheers

Aled

What a lot of talent and creativity displayed here! I have turned tool handles on the lathe, but never made a tool. I think a marking knife would be a good place to start, and I need one.

More tools...

The work on this board inspired me to start tool building--I've shown these before but I use them all the time--the satisfaction in using them never goes away! My hand sawing has really improved since I started to actually enjoy handsawing--I guess the same could be said for the planing...

Its also alot of fun to watch my son (age 10) use his own handplane, knife and saw!
    Attached Images Attached Images