Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your most used, self made tool?

These are the tools I made(not pictured is the bench, saw bench and shaving horse).
    the one I use the most would be my shoothing/ bench hook board, the one in walnut.
    Nothing as fancy as some of you but all realy usefull, espacialy my new Krenov Style plane, I think it will soon become my go to plane!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

and a few more.

and few more...
    Last edited by David Gendron; 09-14-2009 at 9:46 PM. Reason: forgot a few pictures!

Glen, those saws are really nice! What's the red wood in the handles?

Terrific work..

Cliff

Cliff, thanks! The handles are cocobolo on all the saws but the the half-back which is wenge, (I don't recommend using the wenge for handles--its brutal to fill and is very brittle. The cocobolo, on the other hand, is an absolute dream to machine and shape I can't recommend it too highly)

Cheers
    Glen

First, I'd like to bump this thread, because it is great.

Second, where are you guys buying the brass bar stock and u-channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Crowley View Post
    First, I'd like to bump this thread, because it is great.

Second, where are you guys buying the brass bar stock and u-channel?
    I bought round bar stock (for bench bolts) from Fastenal (got one just down the road from me). Ordered rods and sheets from onlinemetals (through Amazon).

Not Neander but I have been using the heck out of this little guy lately.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29281
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I guess really my most used shopmade tools are neander as I made them.

My Nu Bench, a 2009 model.

And my Table Saw, early 70's sometime.

I have only had a 12 inch blade on it once, mostly 9 inch, till I got a Freud triple cut on sale.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Bruce, I am a self taught machinist to go along with my Blacksmithing and Welding Shop. These may seem rather crude to a good machinist, but I made an indexing head from a pair of large fabricated angle blocks I was given. Then I made all the parts, screw and gear included to convert it into a dividing head.

And I made a self centering steady rest for my old lathe, it's range is from 5/16 to 5 inches and is accurate to .0005 over the whole range. I used it mainly to drill center holes in shafting to swing between centers.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Nice stuff Harry. There’s a lot more to a good dividing head than most people realize. I had a nice Hardinge dividing head that I traded for a Bridgeport right angle head.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank You Bruce!
    When you are self employed and do repair work mostly for farmers and what walks in tghe door, there are several times during the year when industry and construction machines don't need your services, so I used that time to repair and maintain my old tools and to make myself some new toys to make my job easier.
    The customers coming in the door have no idea what you are working on and if you are at a point you can stop, you accomadate them, if not you finish what you are doing and tell them when they can come back and pick up their work.
    The main thing is to look busy all the time and often you make do quick repairs on your own machines to get the customers work out the door and often stay way after hours maintaining your own machinery so you can use it to make the necessary money to feed and clothe your family and pay the bills. I have never worked for anyone else for any length of time except when I was a kid and worked for my Dad and Uncle during my apprenticeship and while I was in the Navy Seabees, a short stint as a construction electrician and as a carnival ride foreman for 2 seasons and a short stint when I was first married for the neighboring Case dealer where I had a small welding shop, did new equipment setup and the trucking as well as tearing down tractor engines for the mechanics occassionally. Those were the days of my youth, at the case dealer I took home $54 a week for 6 8 hour days, but could pack my old station wagon from behind the front seat to the tailgatge with full paper grocery sacks for about $60.
    Jr.

Saws

Saws. they're remarkably easy to make and work good. Router plane another. easy to make and acutally works.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Evans View Post
    The work on this board inspired me to start tool building--I've shown these before but I use them all the time--the satisfaction in using them never goes away! My hand sawing has really improved since I started to actually enjoy handsawing--I guess the same could be said for the planing...

Its also alot of fun to watch my son (age 10) use his own handplane, knife and saw!
    Glen, I really like the sculpted planes. Great idea to fit them to your hands.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

This thread is inspiring and awe inducing, while also intimidating. Somehow, at the same time it makes me want to both go home and get to work in my shop, or conversely put my tools up for sale on Craigslist since I just don't ever see my skills approaching those exhibited in this thread. Thanks to all those who posted pictures.

Good come with practice! so get back in your shop and try some thing like... a straight edge, a small dovetail marker, it dosen't have to be a plane or a saw... You have to start some where like every body else here!!
    Good luck and looking foward to see some of your stuff!
    David