Thread: Three stage, Four stage....other???

Three stage, Four stage....other???

Thanks for the help with the WB finishes in my earlier post. Now to the means of getting the finish on the wood. Since I'm just at the concept stage in beginning my spray finish era, I am still deciding on what unit to buy. Right now I'm looking at the Fuji 3 stage after talking with one of their reps. (No, I don't know exactly what I'll be spraying most, but I just don't want to underbuy and have to CraigsList the thing and start over.) I don't have a large compressor and don't want to buy one just for spraying. Thanks for your input.

Spraying is much faster than a brush or wipe-on...

It does not mean a flawless finish, nor even a higher quality finish. Just faster, and with more waste. Spraying can lay down a beautiful finish; so can a quality brush; or a wipe-on done properly.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

More stages provides more pressure, e.g., 5 to 9 psi, for spraying heavier products, like latex paint. If you do that, you will also need a larger needle valve and tip (additional $$ for the kit).

I've sprayed Target USL and EM6000 unthinned with a Fuji Q3 with good results. I upgraded to a 4 stage Accuspray because I thought I might spray some more viscous finishes and I wanted a non-bleeder gun -- never got around to thicker finishes but can tell you a 4 stage works well, too, but no real difference in the finishes on the projects. I have read others' reports that a 4 stage is needed for USL/EM6000 -- not in my experience with the 2 listed turbine systems.

Edit to add: For EM6000,
    I use the #3 Fuji cap set (1.0mm) on the Q3.
    #7 cap / 1.3mm needle/nozzle on the Accuspray
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 09-10-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: correct needle size