Thread: Latex or other WB paint for cabinets?

Latex or other WB paint for cabinets?

I plan to get into spray finishing cabinets and bookshelves soon. I've heard that Latex paint isn't advised since it tends to stick to the items on the shelves over time. Are there any other WB alternatives to latex paint or do I need to go with oil? Thanks.

Sherwin-Williams' Pro-Classic Waterborne Enamel is one. There are others, but I'm not experienced with them.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Two others often recommended here are Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Waterborne and Target Coatings USL (Ultimate Spray Laquer) or Target Coatings EM6000.

I've used the BM Impervo oil-based and it's a great paint. The waterbased version is also supposed to be excellent.

I've used both BM WB Impervo and Target EM 6000 Pastel Base with good results. Another paint I like is Muralo Ultra WB.
    Impervo only comes in satin sheen, Muralo is available in all sheen levels.

I recommend Target Coatings USL (Emtech EM6000 now) all the way. You can get it tinted in a wide range of colors from Homestead.

Look for a waterborne paint that contains acrylic as one of it's components. "Latex" has become a sort of generic word for any waterborne paint. Real latex is rarely used any more.
    Howie.........

...and not used any more in quality WB paints/coatings.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

It doesn't look like anyone really answered your "stickiness" question -- one I also care about.

I'm no finishing pro, but I asked that question of my local Benjamin-Moore paint expert who's pretty knowledgeable and not stuck on his line of products. He said that the "sticky" problem with waterbased paints for doors, windows, and especially shelves is still a reason to use oil/alkyd-based paints. Their product-line doesn't really address furniture finishing, so there may be a good water-based solution out there -- just not "paint".

I was about to ask the same question about water-based lacquers or other products, e.g., from Target Coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    It doesn't look like anyone really answered your "stickiness" question -- one I also care about.

I'm no finishing pro, but I asked that question of my local Benjamin-Moore paint expert who's pretty knowledgeable and not stuck on his line of products. He said that the "sticky" problem with waterbased paints for doors, windows, and especially shelves is still a reason to use oil/alkyd-based paints. Their product-line doesn't really address furniture finishing, so there may be a good water-based solution out there -- just not "paint".

I was about to ask the same question about water-based lacquers or other products, e.g., from Target Coatings.
    You got the same response my dealer in Dallas gives. I even talked to the BM rep and he said, "We're almost there, but...."
    I think the many painters use water base products on wood because of the drying time. Time is money. Also, in a commercial application there is dust and airborne trash that can settle on the freshly painted oil enamel. Water base sets up in minutes and oil takes hours. For me it's alkyd paint for interior wood finishes, hands down.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

yeah, i still use oil paints as well. i can understand why professional shops don't, since the drying time is prohibitive.

hours is only dry to the touch, cure time is more like days, if not a week depending on the weather. i use oil paint on the outsides of wooden windows i build and they really need to sit for a week before they're ready to hang in the case of a double hung, else they'll stick to their jambs and parting beads.

imagine the old days with linseed oil paint . wonder how they stored freshly painted windows and doors back then? since they probably needed 2 to 3 weeks to dry before they could be hung.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 09-13-2009 at 12:18 AM.