Thread: refinishing a dining room set

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

refinishing a dining room set

We have a dining room set that is 38 years old. In great shape but has a few bumps and bruises from the vacuum cleaner and normal day to day use.

Not sure of the wood, but the original receipt said "walnut" but that could just be the color. We do not think it ever had a protective finish on it (poly, etc) and it was usually kept covered. However, there is a big difference in color between the table top and the leaf, which was usually stored in a closet.

After looking around to replace it, we can not find anything we like so we looked into having it professionally refinished. The cost would be about $175 per chair and $800 for the table. We have 4 chairs. The set is plain, no carvings or fancy woodwork. I'm attaching a few photos if it works.

This would have to be done in my garage, so no dangerous fumes or spraying equipment.

If I attempt to refinish this myself, where would I start? Any good books that explain the process? Do I have to sand it down to bare wood or just remove the exixting finish? I have reupholstered the chairs a few times and will do that again also, but never attempted a project this big. Too much to even attempt?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice?

John
    Attached Images Attached Images