Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Woodworking Bench (Parts I & II of II)

I somehow missed this on the first go around!

Beautiful!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    ... One thing I have discovered is that I don't need the full height/range I built into it.
    So, if you built another one - what range would it have?

Did you ever figure out a better foot pedal option?

re: ratchet/pedal

What about having a 2" threaded wooden rod that would remain a permanent part running in the center of the lower horizontal member of the moving square and would be used to control the lowering of the moving square. Then you could have the connector to the dangling metal ends be something temporary to hold them together so you could lower turning the wooden thread. You indicated earlier that you simply lift the top and the sliding square moves up ratcheting. Well, the temporary (leather braided strand) I'm contemplating that pulls the two ends of the metal close to disengage the ratchet and then you use the screw to slowly lower the bench to the desired ratchet number. When your height has been lowered to where you want it, you remove the braid, store it underneath the bench, and then turn the thread so it no longer acts as a support leaving the ratchets fully engaged.

I'd also consider treating the metal with an black coating (except for the cylinder parts in the ratchet teeth) keeping the color element (you've introduced silver-steel to the design) count down and match the vise hardware.

Very inspiring, I showed my wife and murmured "change order" -- we both laughed. I, too, have in process a bench based upon Loni's article.
    John L. Poole

Quote Originally Posted by John Poole View Post
    re: ratchet/pedal

What about having a 2" threaded wooden rod that would remain a permanent part running in the center of the lower horizontal member of the moving square and would be used to control the lowering of the moving square. Then you could have the connector to the dangling metal ends be something temporary to hold them together so you could lower turning the wooden thread. You indicated earlier that you simply lift the top and the sliding square moves up ratcheting. Well, the temporary (leather braided strand) I'm contemplating that pulls the two ends of the metal close to disengage the ratchet and then you use the screw to slowly lower the bench to the desired ratchet number. When your height has been lowered to where you want it, you remove the braid, store it underneath the bench, and then turn the thread so it no longer acts as a support leaving the ratchets fully engaged.

I'd also consider treating the metal with an black coating (except for the cylinder parts in the ratchet teeth) keeping the color element (you've introduced silver-steel to the design) count down and match the vise hardware.

Very inspiring, I showed my wife and murmured "change order" -- we both laughed. I, too, have in process a bench based upon Loni's article.
    Gee, this thread won't die

John, thanks for the compliments and ideas. Believe me, I wrestled with the release pedal mechanism on and off for the past two years. Other things always seemed to get in the way, the biggest of which is a design of mine that will hopefully hit the woodworking market in the next few weeks! . I'll post about it when cleared.

I think my first ratchet release was similar to what you describe. It was just a bungee between the pawl arms. In the version I used on the table I built for the AWW article, I joined the pawl arms with a long bungee that hung just above the floor. To lower the bench I would step on the bungee and lift on the table slightly which allowed the pawls to disengage. I lowered the table to desired height then let the bungee slip out from under my foot. The second, similar version required I grab and hold the bungee before grabbing the end of the table. I let the bungee slip out of my hand when the table was at desired height. I didn't really like either method- it was awkward holding the bungee and the table, and letting the bungee go or slip from under my foot while still supporting the end of the table. I would rather use pull rods, weights, etc.

When I installed the pedal release mechanism, I actually considered trying about a half dozen approaches. All were neater looking and more integrated with one or both legs. However, they required a permanent modification to the leg/base structure. I was never fully satisfied with any of the ideas so never implemented any of them. Besides, my existing mechanism works just fine, its just not up to my standards. Maybe when I license or am otherwise done with the other designs I am actively shopping around, I'll get back to the bench.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 11-05-2011 at 9:07 PM.

Bump because it is still an awesome design.

Thanks, Mike!

It still works great and I still use its full adjustment range!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as purty anymore- scrapes, dings, (shhhhh even a little paint and a burn spot )

And no, I never got around to designing a better pedal/release mechanism.

Thanks for the bump Mike. I can't believe this has been around for eight years and I haven't seen it referenced every time some asks for guidelines on how tall to make their bench. Very cool and innovative design.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    And no, I never got around to designing a better pedal/release mechanism.
    Bungee will degrade, string is Naff. Good old gravity won't wear out. Attach a weight to the very bottom of each of the V's, this weight serves to re-engage the mechanism. The weights could be cool lead fishing weights attached with wire. Attach nice chain between the two V's. Another length of chain goes up from the V chain middle around a block on the bottom of the bench and out the apron through a drilled hole. When you want to move the bench top just pull the chain tight, hold the chain between your palm and the bench end. Lifting the bench adds more tension to aid the release of the engaged mechanism. Release the chain with your palm to re-engage. Let the chain run between your palm and bench end as you raise the bench.
    Lowering the top will require a loop of chain around your palm and swivel your hand to the right for each inch of movement down.
    If the hole in the bench end is to the right just inside of your hand position and hole flared it should work well.

The balance of the weights and chain used can be adjusted so little force is needed when the weight of the bench is lifted.

This gets the paddle off the floor for shop cleaning and keeps your feet in a good lifting position.

This is not so different from what you have been doing it just moves control from your foot to hand.

Though I am skeptical of the stability and practicality of the adjustable height feature, I must say the workmanship on the whole bench is admirable. Nice job!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Though I am skeptical of the stability and practicality of the adjustable height feature, I must say the workmanship on the whole bench is admirable. Nice job!
    I agree, at first look the bench seems top heavy. However the feet almost reach the apron width, the top part of the frame is very robust and sits in the V groove that the weight of the bench keeps snug. Adding drawers under the bench is a lot more troublesome however. A platform to stand on for a lower bench height seems much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Thanks. You really need to watch the video* where I demonstrate its adjustability and extreme stability. At one point during the demo I lean and push laterally against the top while it is in the full-up position- no wobble, no tilt, no motion. I think it is much more stable than the adjustable tables made with scissor jacks, etc. Believe me, I really use the adjustment feature. There are times when I want to do operations at chest height and other times when I want the table lower so it is easier to exert downward pressure on the work.

* The video was on the AWW website for years until they were purchased then closed by PopWW. Unlike the AWW article about my adjustable height assembly table, the video of the assembly table and bench video never made the transition to the PopWW website. If I can find the original video and get a chance, I'll upload it again.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I agree, at first look the bench seems top heavy. However the feet almost reach the apron width, the top part of the frame is very robust and sits in the V groove that the weight of the bench keeps snug. Adding drawers under the bench is a lot more troublesome however. A platform to stand on for a lower bench height seems much easier.
    The feet on trestle base are indeed nearly as wide as the aprons and though the nearly 3" thick hard maple top is indeed heavy- the bench does not exhibit any of the undesirable characteristics of structures that are considered "top heavy." The weight actually improves its stability and rigidity. I think is much easier to adjust the bench height to the desired level than it would be to use a fixed height platform and move to where needed- I can work from any side of the bench, with no trip hazards. The lower stretcher makes adding drawers impossible. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but I still break out into a grin whenever I adjust it for a task.