Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Biggest Decision on shop.. Help needed

Personally I would (and did) look at the economics of it in two ways:

1) the "start up" cost. i.e. construction of walls, floors, insulation. obviously this cost would be significantly greater by going the pole barn route, but by going with the basement you have a shop NOW (or at least pretty close to now). when i had to make this choice, i did not have the funds for this type of start up.

2) the "operating costs" mainly heat. With all do respect to the southerners here, many of you may not have experience with COLD winters. This can be a VERY important factor in the decision making process due to the sometimes volatile cost of heating. I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago and opted for the basement mainly for this reason. I'm already heating this space and otherwise it was just going to collect junk. In northern Maine we can go months without getting above zero...thus having to keep a shop comfortable with those temps is very costly.

and a 3rd point not relating to economics:
    another reason the basement is good, wifey will bring down fresh baked cookies and hot cocoa since she doesn't need to bundle up and put on her galoshes.

if none of my arguments worked i would think at least #3 should!
    Cheers,
    NWB

EDIT:
    as for the SF differences: there is a significant size difference, but if you have too much space, i feel you do too much walking... im at about 450 sf now but would be quite happy with only about another 3-400 max. that is all assuming my workflow and work load remains the similar with minimal growth.
    Last edited by NICK BARBOZA; 09-11-2009 at 3:12 PM. Reason: forgot to compare the SF.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

While the barn provides the "ideal" shop it may not be the most practical. The most important factor to consider is "How much time am I going to spend in the shop from December to February".

The reason why this is important is how you plan to heat the barn. You need to factor this in to the decision process because it can add up depending on your source of heat.

Personally I would take the 20 x 30 basement and upgrade the power. You can tap your home heat to heat the shop if need be.

Good luck

Wow I am just amazed at the time some of you have taken to answer my questions, I thank you all, I am leaving for Vegas in a few hours...(kickoff weekend) I will be back in a few days then I will post up some pictures of the two areas in question. Thank you again, btw leaning towards barn, its what the wife would prefer.

If it were me, and the funds available, I'd retro the 30x60 shop.
    Save the basement for future bedrooms, a den, storage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Palmowski View Post
    ..... btw leaning towards barn, its what the wife would prefer.

That should be one of the primary factors
    1. She won't complain about the noise or dust
    2. She may not notice that new tool you had to have delivered
    3. you can surprise her with a completed piece you made
    4. You'll have a "getaway" to unwind to (but you'll have to take your own hot cocoa)

I just think a workshop is best away from the living areas, even if it is an attached garage. Plus the same-level for all the wood and tools etc. would be a big plus. The initial expense would be more, but long term it gives you more options. Can you forecast ten years done the road? That would have some bearing on the decision for me too.

If you chose the barn and you are currently working in the barn during cold months, you must keep the shop heated somewhat during your beauty rest at night. The cold lumber and glue doesn't bond so well. Glue is no good if it's been frozen. It takes a long while for the materials to heat up to minimum temp the glue requires.. Something to think about regarding your enery bills. The shop AND materials should be maintained above minimum working temp of the glue for several hours before glue-ups.

7. I had to choose between the garage (2 car) and the 'crawlspace' (basically, a huge basement with 14 ft high ceiliings and poured cement floor - it doesn't have a stair well inside the house so it can't be called a basement).

I took the garage because I didn't want to carry everything down to the basement and I didn't want to be in a cave while doing my hobby. Plus it's damp down there!

If it were me, I would take the barn. As people mentioned before, you can build it out in sections as needed - maybe start with a small (15x20) room with radiant heating in the floors and a boiler that runs on whatever is cheapest there. That could be your hand work, assembly, very cold winter room where you could keep some smaller tools as well. Then, you could build out the other side (15x20) for larger power tools and install a separate heating circuit there so you don't have to heat the whole building all the time.

Plus, 8 months out of the year you won't need to run that much heat. I think if you did it in stages and did most of the work yourself, if wouldn't be a huge financial drain and it would be a much more fun area for everyone.

BTW, I have lived in miserably cold places, even though I currently live in alabama. :-) Oh, you could become a neanderthal during the coldest months and keep a small bench and hand tools in the basement. Let's be honest, most people aren't going to suit up to go out to a pole barn in a blizzard - even if it is heated!

Anyway, good luck - I'd love to have this particular problem to deal with. :-)

Use the pole barn if only because it has more space. My shop is in a 24 x 48 foot pole barn and it's sometimes too small. You only have to heat it when you are actually using it. Access, noise and dust issues also vote in it's favor.

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

I left my basement behind . . .

I left my basement and went into a garage type bay of a pole barn. I heat with a propane heater, and its plenty warm -- even in Michigan. I hope I never have to go back to the basement. Noisy for the kids, wife. Kids can't stand smell of stain and finishing. More freedom in the pole barn. My wife can bring me cookies and hot cocoa and they'll still be warm when she gets there. I do not miss anything about my basement shop.

But . . .

My financial outlay was under $500 to move.

I don't know if this question has been asked

but what kind of work do you expect to do? Turning pens or making jewelery boxes makes one type of space desirable, building kitchens for 3 kids changes the requirements.