Thread: Cutlist Plus question

Cutlist Plus question

Folks

This is my first use of Cutlist Plus and I am having an issue. When I do a layout with dimensional lumber the program trys to use bigger boards and rip them down. I sort of solved this problem by changing the inventory numbers. Now though the layout skips a part which is 7" wide and uses a 1" X 8" to create a bunch of 3 1/2" wide pieces even though I have plenty of 1" X 4" stock. Any ideas or suggestions to solve this problem?

I'm not sure if I made that very clear, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

If 1x4 are the nominal dimensions of the stock, perhaps the "actual" dimension in your raw materials list is 3 1/2 inches. If the "saw setup" has a saw kerf width entered and/or the LR or TB trim has a value, then CL adds those values to the finished dimensions of the part. The raw material "actual" dimensions have to be equal or greater than those augmented dimensions before CL will select that raw material for those particular parts.

That might be the reason CL chooses the wider board.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Tom

I thought about that, but I have other parts at 3 1/2" that it is laying out on 1 X 4's. I have been playing with the settings but just can't get it to behave. Thanks for your response.

Troy

First let me say that while Cutlist might allow you to handle solid stock, its really not the best way because it can't take into account the appearance of the wood and working around defects. To that end, I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not familiar with its behavior.

It sounds to me like you have a dimensional or missing data issue. For example, for a skipped part, check that you have the right material or thickness selected, otherwise it will skip. Realistically for anyone to answer, they are going to need to see what's in your inventory and what's in your project. Can you take screen shots of your inventory and your parts list and post them here?

It may be better better to pose your question to Bridgewood Design's tech support if its not operator error.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    <snip>
    It may be better better to pose your question to Bridgewood Design's tech support if its not operator error.
    +1 I've had excellent response from their support. I wanted to move the app to a new computer one Saturday morning but could not locate my license code. I emailed tech support and they sent the necessary license code within 10 minutes.

Troy, have you messed with the "project settings"? There are some options under the "optimization" tab that might fix it for you.