Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which small shaper?

which small shaper?

I am looking about for a small shaper 1-1/2 or 3 hp.
    Something for occasional use in my carpentry shop.

(Maybe use a magic shaper disk.)

Jet looks good.

Are the Grizzly machines worth it?

Any opinions anyone?

Thanks

Virgil

I have the 2hp G1026, works good for the small amount I have used it, pretty bulky and heavy (350#'a) and needs 220v.
    My friend has the smaller one 1.5hp and said he wishes he had the larger one. It has a nice larger table.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I have the Smaller 1.5 hp Grizzly G1035. Plenty of power I wish the sides of table were wider is my only complaint.

There is a X5 Delta 3hp for sale on woodnet for $1225 in Chicago. It is nicer than the grizzlys and Jet because of the fence they include with it. Something to consider.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I had the smaller Grizzly shaper with the extra table extension. I was pleased with it EXCEPT for the fence. I sold it because I didn't really use it that much and I needed the space for other tools (I had bought an edge sander). I'm a hobbiest and the occasional use of the shaper and adjustment of the fence was really frustrating. If I had used it in a way in which I did not have to adjust the fence very often, it would have been fine. If you can't quite tell, I think the fence was by far the weak link.

Jim

I have the Grizzly 1026 and think it's great. It has pretty much been relegated to milling raised panels in my shop and it has plenty of power for it. I've never seen it bog down, not even when doing 3" wide coves in one pass. The fence is solid, though somewhat lacking in modern amenities. But seeing as how the whole shaper cost less than some of the fancy euro fences I can't really complain, it does it's job well. I think it's a really great deal (hell it cost less than a lot of router table set-ups) and will probably purchase another when the need arrives.

Just remembered it also comes with something like four different spindles.
    Last edited by johnny means; 09-13-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: More info

So can the Grizzly 1026 fence be worked around or modified?

Is it that the fence is "floppy" or just is hard to get to move precisely?

I don't use a shaper all that much anymore but from time I could use the extra beef and a little fiddling is OK as long as the fence works once it is set.
    That is - is it solid once set in place.

Or can I add something to make the fence behave.

The hold downs look a little weak to me but that is easily worked around.

Virgil

I have a pair of Grizzly 1026 shapers. These work fine but as has been stated, the fences are of an older design and anything new and improved works easier. Does easier make for better? For the price, I don't think you can beat them.

Sliding tables would be really nice but that adds quite a bit to cost.

Dar

I will also recommend looking for a used shaper. A used SCM, Minimax, or Laguna shaper will be a far more useful investment than a new Griz or Delta/PM shaper.

Those fancy Euro shaper fences are a dream to use. Once you have used a micro adjustment capable shaper fence you will not want to use the others. Also the shaper's mass makes them almost vibration free.

I know you are talking small ones but if you are spending a grand on a shaper get one that is easier to use and setup.

I am crazy though so nevermind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I will also recommend looking for a used shaper. A used SCM, Minimax, or Laguna shaper will be a far more useful investment than a new Griz or Delta/PM shaper.

Those fancy Euro shaper fences are a dream to use. Once you have used a micro adjustment capable shaper fence you will not want to use the others. Also the shaper's mass makes them almost vibration free.

I know you are talking small ones but if you are spending a grand on a shaper get one that is easier to use and setup.

I am crazy though so nevermind me.
    The problem is that good ones show up every now and then and I need one now.
    I used to be an architectural woodworker (first twenty years after college and in college) and had grand shops.

But now I am "retired" making a wide array of carpentry projects which means I might use a tool (a shaper or a slot mortiser or whatever) every now and then.
    So set up is not such a chore as it would be not be on an every day basis.

As of this time I have well over a hundred grand in so many tools that come into occasional use.

So I now buy a tool (that is needed for a job) that might not be used for months.
    There is limit to even my budget.

And getting a used tool that might take a day to retrieve costs that day's income making them more expensive.

I agree that good used tools are best but I need a tool right away and no time to wait until one appears.

Alas, the demands of my business.

(I am still looking for a good small slot mortiser.
    Still like that Laguna?
    ---Because I need one in the next couple of weeks.)

Virgil

Virgil - I think that mortiser is hard to beat for the moeny. AND I bet if you call Tim at Laguna and tell him you want that Amazon $795 deal he had on that mortiser a month ago he just might bite. For $795 it is approaching domino/FMT money! It is not a $3K Felder or $3K Laguna mortiser - but man it is a heck of a machine for that coin.

I would be jumping on that 3hp X5 shaper on woodnet. A stupid little Jet is $899 new (I love that machine but why sooo much $$$ - and yes I did own one for two weeks - and I sold it for it was worth to a friend!).

Ebay is chuck full of nice shapers available now. Many more than $1K but I would be sending out offers as many have been on there for weeks.

Just trying to help you get a nice machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Virgil - I think that mortiser is hard to beat for the moeny. AND I bet if you call Tim at Laguna and tell him you want that Amazon $795 deal he had on that mortiser a month ago he just might bite. For $795 it is approaching domino/FMT money! It is not a $3K Felder or $3K Laguna mortiser - but man it is a heck of a machine for that coin.

I would be jumping on that 3hp X5 shaper on woodnet. A stupid little Jet is $899 new (I love that machine but why sooo much $$$ - and yes I did own one for two weeks - and I sold it for it was worth to a friend!).

Ebay is chuck full of nice shapers available now. Many more than $1K but I would be sending out offers as many have been on there for weeks.

Just trying to help you get a nice machine!
    Mike

Where are those shapers on ebay?

I went to look but saw few - some small and some 3 phase.
    Not what I like.

Looked at woodnet and saw the one in Chicago - my old home town so to speak - but two days drive from me now.

Virgil

I will call Tim tomorrow.

Hi Virgil. Not sure what your budget is but I do see used Delta 3HP machines around quite frequently for $1500 or less. I have an older 3HP delta machine and it does a fine job for most things, raised panels, small moldings and such. I put the X-5 fence on it as a retro fit and love that for convenience. They sell the fence seperately should you want or need one though I think they have raised the price significantly since I bought mine.

It doesn't take much of a shaper IME to make cabinet doors, so pretty much anything above 2HP seems to cover that bill. Problem with most of the used euro gear is that the good ones are all 3PH, which can cost more to get if you don't have it than the shaper itself if you go past 5HP, which many of the good euro machines are. That being said I picked up a used Minimax this summer (5HP) for a song and will probably wire up the phase convertor this month. Total package still keeps me under $1500 for a way better machine than ANY of the chiwan models I have seen under any brand. I see a lot of used PM27's in both single and three phase around these days too, but they always seem to want more for them than I would estimate they are actually worth.

I looked at that new line of jet shapers, and they look nice, but for the money I couldn't live with the single side adjustable fence and would probably have stretched for a PM2700 if the minimax had not come along.

I also have a Laguna platinum mortiser, the first incarnation, and I agree with Mike, for the money it is a fine tool. I had my doubts upon arrival but having worked through a few things with it now, both for slotting and doweling, it works well. I can't imagine going back to the router at this point for mortising, and the domino simply doesn't go deep enough for some of the things I do. Good luck in finding what you need.

Hi Virgil. I have one of the Grizzly 3 hp shaper and it does a good job, but I keep it set up for one operation. The fence is crap, plain and simple. I knew I as going to build a new fence when I bought the shaper.

The Shop Fox version is the same shaper with a pretty good fence to go with it. I just ordered another one on E bay, with free shipping and cashback, $930. Hard to beat unless you can find something used.

I would not buy anything less than 3 hp for my only shaper. One reason to buy a shaper is so you dont have to make multiple passes like a router table.

Please figure in a power feeder in your purchase also, a shaper is half a machine without a feeder, not to mention the safety of having it. Hope this helps.

Hijacking my own thread...

about the slot mortiser

Laguna has free shipping in Sept.
    The shipping cost to me is $200 making it the same deal as the $795 offered last month.

Shaper issue is still up in the air but at the moment I am leaning toward the Gizzly 1026.

Virgil