Thread: jointer stalling - feed rate too high?

jointer stalling - feed rate too high?

So, I've been playing with my DJ20, a 1990 model, and was messing around with some old wood I had laying around. I think this piece may be Doug Fir, but I don't know for certain. In any case, it was bowed up and down the length of the board. I have the cut set at about 1/32", but I don't entirely know how accurate that is. In any case, occasionally, while pushing the board down through the jointer on it's face, the jointer would stall, reset, get up to speed again, and so forth. Am I going too fast? A piece of redwood didn't stall the motor or make it lose speed.
    Oh, I don't have my cyclone hooked up, so it's just dumping sawdust to the ground, I don't know if things getting clogged up can cause speed issues either.

Thanks in advance.
    Ed

sounds like a slipping belt from the motor are the motor itself is stopping.

Ed,

How was the cut on the redwood? Knives good and sharp?

Take a close look at the belt and make sure it isn't all shiny. Being old, it may be on its last legs. I'd suggest switching over to those red link belts. They are pricey but they don't slip, don't stretch, and last forever.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The cut on the redwood looked great. The cut on the fir isn't as good, you can see where the knives slowed down. If I slow it down a lot (the feed rate), the speed stays up, and if I'm edge jointing, there is no problem at all. I'll check the belts. That's a good suggestion.

Ed

I've never seen a jointer stall and can't imagine why it would unless, as already suggested, the belt is too loose. Now, if you were taking a 1/2" cut...maybe, but I don't suggest that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, I didn't check the belts yet, but I did reduce the depth of the cut, and it made a big difference. A previous note indicated that I had to have my mobile base welded (broke off the wheel/lever), and maybe we accidentally adjusted the depth. However, I bet it wasn't taking off any more than a 3/32nds, maybe a bit more. I'll have to check the belts.

Ed

Power Twist v-belt

This is the "red link" belt that Chris is talking about, I think. So, I'm at work, not near my dj20. The belt sizes are 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8. Does anybody know off hand which size is required? I was thinking about ordering it online...

Ed

You'll have to check, Ed, when you get home. I would guess 1/2" but I don't know for sure. Maybe you can call Delta?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.