Thread: Sanding to Find Grain

Sanding to Find Grain

I am getting ready to build a cutting board out of Maple and Purple Heart. The blanks I purchased are rough wood and I can not seem to tell the grain direction on the Purple Heart to run the blanks through my jointer. Does anyone think sanding the blanks would assist in me being able to tell the grain direction?

Blog Entries
    I would take a very light pass on the jointer or touch the surface with a sander as you describe. Unless you have an odd scrap of purple heart, boards are generally milled along the grain. That is, the grain runs the long direction.

As I type this I realize you may be referring to "which" long direction will set you to jointing "downhill". If that is the grain you are trying to read, lightly joint or sand an edge. If it is still hard to see, wipe with mieral spirits to enhance the view.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is what I like about this forum you experts helps us newbies all the time.

Thanks

Purpleheart can have "ropy" interlocked grain that actually "runs both directions" at the same time. There may not be a "right" direction. So make very light passes and make sure your knives are SHARP. Not all PH has this type of grain. A pass on the edge with a very sharp block plane will tell you all you need to know.
    David DeCristoforo

I'd be more inclined to give it a kiss over the jointer or even through the planer if you have enough room to play, or use a hand plane if the parts are small. You don't really need to clean the whole thing up to see which direction to proceed. Sometimes if the grain is interlocked or has many switch backs the jointer will give you the best preview of what to expect and which direction works best anyway. If one way tears out, try the other!

keep it simple

Brush your finger tips lightly along the face of the wood in both directions. One direction should be smoother than the other. Keep the "pointy" side towards the rear on the bottom when face jointing.

I'm not sure how tough Purple heart is, but be real careful shoving a steeply grained board backwards through any tool. I tried jointing some kempas the other day (very interlocked grain.) Dulled my knives in one pass to the point that they wouldn't cut cedar.

Anyone want some kempas t&g flooring?

Dan

DO NOT SAND the wood before you joint it!! The abrasive can get into the wood and dull your blades. If you must check the grain,use a hand plane. That will be quicker anyway,and it will tell you which way planes smooth.

I always vacuum clean any rough wood I ever plane first,in case there is any dirt or sand in it.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    The best idea I have heard of is to just run it through the planer with a very light cut. If the surface comes out fuzzy and rough, turn it around and run it the other way. Sounds like a joke, but it probably is the most time efficient way.
    The grain in Purple Heart changes rapidly throughout a board. I once was commissioned to do an office in PH, Oak and Holly. I had to go to a furniture manufacturer in Gulfport, Ms to plane down the desk top because of the width. The owner/manager said $150 which I gladly paid. The $150 was for replacing the belts on a wide belt sander because planing just wont do it sometimes. I never have had much luck planing it either so I take light cuts and plan on lots of sanding.
    Also, if you are not familiar with PH, be prepared to get a gazillion very small splinters under your skin, but the wood is worth the effort.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Agree with Dan...Been doing it that way 50 years; works for me. That said, there may be a better way!

After reading all this great advice, I think I will prepare my maple pieces before I tackle the PH.

Thanks again