Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Shop Tour

Time for a Shop Tour

Since the shop is half way clean, I thought it was time for a shop tour. I was waiting for the shop tours section to be added to the Creek but since it is clean, now’s as good a time as any. It is 24’ x 24’ with a 10’ ceiling. There is a 3’ entry door and a 9’ overhead door. It has a window air conditioner which keeps the shop at 70 degrees in the summer when I’m out there and a direct vent natural gas heater that is set to 60 degrees in the winter. Lots of lighting, and 110 plugs everywhere, every 4’ on the wall and 5 extra ones in the ceiling with 220 outlets in the walls and ceiling to reach anything I need.

The First picture is looking into the North East corner of the shop which just shows the gas heater next to the clamp rack. It is behind the rack of wood blanks that need to be used before winter so I can get to the heater. Also shown on the north wall is my dust collection piping to the CMS and RAS. There is a hose run to the table saw and band saw along the floor. To the right on the East wall is the window air conditioner and a work bench with storage below. Also shown is my main work table which for now has my grinder and wolverine jig and 1” belt sander on it.

The Second picture is looking into the North West corner of the shop. In this picture you can see the Grizzly table saw, old 12” lathe, 15” Grizzly planner, 6” Jet jointer and a can of clamps. Also a small router table and the Grizzly 1029 dust collector and the air cleaner on the ceiling. My small workbench and vice are there also. The wood rack is also in this picture with a portable sheet good cart below. Since I am really not building large stuff anymore, this cart is going away this week to make room for the planner, jointer, shaper and sander to fit. If I do anything big, it will be cut up and used and not stored as before. It just takes up allot of space I need (2-1/2’ x 8’).

The Third picture is looking into the South East corner showing the wash tub and metal storage cabinet and my shelving. The shop vac, drill press and oscillating sander is also shown. In this corner is a plug for a sewer hookup which I added for resale at a later date.

The Forth and last picture is looking South West, showing the 18” band saw and Jet Mini lathe. Against the overhead door are the Delta shaper and Grizzly combination sander. You can see the high speed grinder and Wolverine jig and the 1” belt sander. That little (1/3 hp) motor is the one off the old lathe.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Great work space! Now we know where some of your great creations are born.

Thanks for sharing.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Looks great Dick. You have a very nice setup there, for sure!

The cleanliness rivals that of another creeker..................I'm sure everyone knows who that is! Looks great...........it sure is nice to walk into a nice, clean shop, huh? I love a clean and organized shop.........the REAL challenge is keeping it that way!

Thumbs up

Very nice and well organized too. Thx for letting us all take a look.

ps I was just over at shoptour.org not long ago and was going to try and get John M to update his tour on there and this reminded me to do that. Sorry for the hijack.

Chad (from 1 -0 Viking land)

Nice looking shop, clean, well lit and bright and pleasant to work in. I'm envious.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

6. Wink

.... Got that clean but “worked in” look.<O</O

Looking smart.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr

Thanks for looking.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I like your high tech clamp holder. Where can I get me one of them?

Great looking shop Dick! It's nicely laid out & organized.
    Your shop is about the same size as mine so why does it look sooo much bigger? It must be that beautiful high ceiling. Thanks for posting
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dick,
    It is a great shop! Well planned! Well executed! Well done!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Sigh, permanent spots for equipment...how I long for such things....

Very nice, Dick.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice Pics !!! Your shop looks so big for 24 square. Do you find yourself cramped?

BTW, When is trash pickup at your house? I can use some clamps !!
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Wow - look at all that headroom! I bet I could fill that with all sorts of junk!! Really nice shop Dick. You're either really lucky, or have worked really hard to get where you are.

Wes

A real nice shop there Dick. Clean, bright and well equipped. You have a lot packed in it but all organized so it doesn't have a cluttered look at all. Thanks for the tour.

Excellent and bright shop, Dick!! Thaks for the tour!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice bright shop Dick. I think that having a 10' ceiling everywhere and having white walls and ceiling really helps.

I hope that, once finished, mine will be as bright and look as good.