Thread: Hair studio + Picture Frame

Hair studio + Picture Frame

These are my first two projects so far. I'm working on some cherry end tables now. On the cabinet just a disclaimer, it does need a counter top but it's for my sister and she hasn't wanted to spend the money yet. The picture frame was a one day toss together for the wife... fun stuff to start with. The cabinet was quite an undertaking for me and a word of warning. DO NOT USE curly maple for your first project, it was very frustrating... The cabinet is borg ply and the rest is curly maple with poly on it... ohh and yes on of the handles is off by about 1/2 an inch... I still haven't figured out how I did it. I imagine I need to find a dowel to fit the hole and re-drill but it just hasn't happend yet. Also the mirror is store bought and not my creation...

Here are the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work for being your first two projects - - very nice

Not bad at all Blake. My first project was not even close to the magnitude of the cabinets. And the pull being off... not anything unual to make a mistake even after years of doing this. The trick is how well you fix the mistake.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blake, as Sarge says - the mastery is in how you cover the mistakes!! Making them is just part of woodworking. What about doing back plates for ALL the pulls. That would cover your new set of holes, and might add a little interest to the piece. Perhaps a very thin ebony or walnut - something thin, narrow and simple like a rectangle. Looks like the top is black, and I would think about picking up on that. Just a thought.

I think it all looks great, though, and I love the curly maple.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Blake, as Sarge says - the mastery is in how you cover the mistakes!! Making them is just part of woodworking. What about doing back plates for ALL the pulls. That would cover your new set of holes, and might add a little interest to the piece. Perhaps a very thin ebony or walnut - something thin, narrow and simple like a rectangle. Looks like the top is black, and I would think about picking up on that. Just a thought.

I think it all looks great, though, and I love the curly maple.
    Hey, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll do that when I put a countertop on it. The wax + poly on the top does not handle the hot hair tools well. I want to do the top in granite tile.