Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mudroom Storage Bench

Mudroom Storage Bench

Well it's finally done (almost except for the safe lid closer), this is pretty much my first large piece of furniture from rough sawn. It took about 1000 times longer than expected, funny how a 14 month old baby changes your life.

It's made with walnut, mortise and tenon joinery, one coat of seal-a-cell and three coats or arm-r-seal. First time using it and it was pretty easy to work with. Just to prolong the process, I made a crosscut sled and a mortising jig during the build, finally took the time to make a few shop jigs.

Comments are appreciated, thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great!! When my wife and I moved into our house, we looked around for a compact bench that would fit in our entryway...never did find one and wound up with a table instead. I like the way you went much better!

beautiful piece, great looking wood and great craftsmanship.

congrats on your first piece from rough lumber, I am putting the finish on my first piece as well (pictures to come shortly)
    fledgling weekend warrior

Nice looking piece Jack.

I really like the looks of the vertical panels. They look like they were bookmatched and edge glued. The center panel looks really cool. Love the way the grain matched up, especially on the center panel.

Finish looks good as well. I just finished my first couple of projects (much smaller than yours) and I used Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal like you did. I wasn't sure if three coats of Arm-R-Seal would give a good (glossy) enough finish, so I put 5 coats on mine. I know the label says only three are needed, but I wanted to be sure. In looking at your piece, 3 coats is fine.

Psuedo mudroom storage bench is on my list of projects. Thanks for posting. Allows me to see some different styles.

Great looking storage bench. Nice deep wood tone.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Very nice piece Jack. Looks great in the mudroom and has about all the features you would need for that area built into one.

Well done.. and yeah those new-borns do have a way to taking away what was once free-time.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    That looks just great. A very nice looking piece and a perfect spot for it. I really like the color of the wood as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Way too nice for a mudroom

Really - but, you will know it is good. Kind of like doing webframes for carcasses inside dressers.

Beautiful walnut! Jack, your design is excellent, and as others have noted, your grain match and color is very nice. Looks as though it was meant to be there - and it was!! Great job.

thanks for the replies everyone.

Todd, I did bookmatch the vertical panels as well as the lower horizontal panels. The middle panel was actually better looking before I started working on it. It was really figureed at the bottom and as I was planing it I ripped the crap out of it, then had to cut it out of the piece (maybe someday it will be part of a box.). Anyway, live and learn.

for what it's worth, if anyone wants rough plans for this just let me know.

Mudroom Bench plans

Jack would love to get plans for this, either post them here or send me a PM. thanks

Beautiful, Jack!

Don't let my wife see it or she will want one (a mud-room that is... then the furniture, of course )

Hey Jack, I'd love to get rough plans for this. IM me if you want.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Jack, same here with the plans. I have a set from a Shopnotes mag, but yours looks awfully sweet. That was to be one of two of my big projects this winter. I have quartersawn red oak purchased and sitting in the shop for over 2 years now, but I may just have to change to walnut now after seeing yours! Sweet!

Blog Entries
    Jack,
    That is one beautiful piece of furniture......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Hey guys thanks for the input. I have some rough plans with a lumber list somewhere around here (I don't think I have the joinery shown, but it's either stub tenons or loose tenons, you'll be able to tell from the length of pieces on the cut list). I'll dig them out, scan them in and either post them here or PM you. I'll get this out in the next few days.