Thread: Router Inlay-Festool OF1010 vs. Micro Fence

Question Router Inlay-Festool OF1010 vs. Micro Fence

I want to start doing inlay work with a router. I own a fixed PC router for my table, and a new Bosch Colt PR20. I do not own a plunge router and I think that is what I would prefer for inlay work. I have looked at both the Festool OF1010 router and the Micro Fence plunge base for my Bosch Colt. Either one will cost about $400.00 by the time I am done. I like different features on both machines. Does anyone own both and have any recommendations or other ideas? Thanks

I don't know what kind of inlay you plan to do, but a friend of mine who does small things (like stringing) uses a Dremel because it takes 1/8" bits and he has made jigs for it.

Also look at some of the LN hand tools for inlay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd go with the MF. If you want to also use it with a Dremel you can pick up a couple other adapter parts from Microfence so it's a bit more flexible.
    Use the fence Luke

I own a MicroFence and the Bosch Colt. It is a dynamic combination that is smooth and very accurate and more powerful than you would expect from such a small machine.

The only thing better than the MicroFence plunge base is the one that Bruce Page built, if you could get him to make you one of his designs you would have something valuable.

I have never used a Festool router so I can't offer any advice in that direction.

I owned both. Go with the Micro Fence. I bought the 1010 first. I just sold it. The MF can be micro adjusted up & down. On the 1010, I only micro adjust the stop.
    One thing I did not like about the MF base was how high the Bosch Colt motor set in the base. I did a little mod work & got the motor to set lower. I now like it a lot better.

For inlay, you don't need much power at all. That's why a Dremel can work. Stewart-McDonald (a big luthery supplier) has a base and edge guide the Dremel. It is signicantly less expensive than the Micro Fence.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ter_Bases.html
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 09-13-2009 at 6:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I own a MicroFence and the Bosch Colt. It is a dynamic combination that is smooth and very accurate and more powerful than you would expect from such a small machine.

The only thing better than the MicroFence plunge base is the one that Bruce Page built, if you could get him to make you one of his designs you would have something valuable.

I have never used a Festool router so I can't offer any advice in that direction.
    Thanks Keith. After collecting dust for awhile I have actually been using my homemade base on some coat racks for the grandkids – in between TDY’s to WSMR.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Funny you should ask - I'm sitting in front of some inlay work as I type. I use my Makita 3707 - small-frame lam trimmer. Stew-MacD has 1/8" bits, plus a sleeve to adapt them to a 1/4" collet. Seems like your Bosch would do the trick just fine, but I've never used one. A lam trimmer works great fo this purpose - very lightweight and maneuverable. I never bought any accessory fences, etc. because it seemed I always had something to do that the fence could not quite do, so I just use scrap 1/4" ply and fab a base-guide-radius-etc jig to handle whatever I need. But, I'm not a high-voluem inlay guy.

When I posted earlier I wasn't really familiar with the Festool OF1010. I've got a Festool router, just not that one. By chance I had to go pick some kreg pocket screw plugs this afternoon and happened to walk past the Festool display so I stopped and looked. Just MHO but the OF1010 seems rather on the large size for doing inlay. Not huge, but bigger than I think I'd want for that. I'd stick with the lam trimmer idea (or Dremel).
    Use the fence Luke

Hi Les,

I have both systems. The Festool 1010 is a fine router, works on their guides and is a high quality tool. That said, the Micro Fence plunge base
    will work wonders around "just the Festool". The Micro Fence plunge base is also part of a "system". In woodworking parlance I have found out that when something is called a system is can be translated into "expensive".

The Micro Fence "system" will allow you the same control and adjustment
    that is brilliant. The plunge base is just the start off that slippery slope we have all come to know and love. Just hold on and let it rip.

Call Rich or Jill at the Micro Fence company headquarters, get their catalogue and spend some time checking it out. I use the Bosch Colt PR20 with the plunge base, I can finally see what I am doing, it's wonderful. You will find many uses for their "system". 800 480 6427.

Good Luck,
    Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, CA.

There is a guy on one of the Festool boards that is using the Microfence system with his Festool MFK700 trim router and really likes the setup. I can't remember who or which thread it's on. I do think he mentioned he had about $700 in just the Microfence stuff he has. The MFK700 is $525 for the full kit or $400 for the router with the verticle base only.

I have the MFK700 and I really like it, but I have not used it for inlay work. If you are doing straight cuts that are a long way from the edge of the panel, any of the Festool routers with the guide rail will give you dead-straight cuts. I think the 1010 would work better for stopped cuts as it is a plunge router. I also have the 1010 and it is very light and easy to handle. Both of these routers will take 1/4" or 8mm bits.

Wow, thanks for all your kind words everyone; it makes us feel good to know our customers are happy with their purchases!

Here is a video on MicroFence.com about doing inlay work that may help: http://microfence.com/video-i-37.html#inlay

Also, during September you can find the Plunge Base/Edge-Guide combo on sale until 9/30/09. Visit our site or check out our Discounts and Deals posting!

Thanks again!

~Jill

Smile

Well Rich, by now you know what I've decided to do based on your great website and the comments above. Thanks for the quick shipment of the plunge base.