Thread: ? tools do you use to build your Cabinets

? tools do you use to build your Cabinets

I have tools to make them. but I plan to update my tools to make them easier to build! (Cab TS, Shaper, more clamps, Kreg Jig)

I had a Fellow come by that want's me to make some TG interior doors and Cabinets for the Log Homes he builds. I told him I'm not set up for big production of cabinets but I plan on buying the tools soon.
    So what tools do you use to make your Cabinets?
    I would like to build some for him to help pay for the new shop and the new tools I plan to buy Plus ex $$
    Jim

TS, router table, kregg jig, sander, drill (for kregg jig) drum sander, jointer, planer, sometimes drill press when installing hardware.

Im no production shop but I do more cabinets than I thought I would.

I would like to add a shaper to the list.

You might want to consider a dedicated mortiser to that list, but I can’t think of anything else.

Jim,

A few additional thoughts... Not sure what your style or preference is, but if you plan on mortise & tenon rails/stiles, I find a dedicated HC mortiser and tenoning jig for the TS come in handy to speed things up a bit. I also use 1/4" spiral upcut bits in the router table for grooving rails/stiles on Shaker style doors. A good dado blade is another nice addition along with a good quality cabinet router bit set of appropriate profile(s) (rail,stile,panel raising bits).

Also, if you'll be using adjustable shelving, the Veritas shelf pin drilling jig is really nice. And for drawers, depending on the type of joinery used, you could consider the appropriate tool for that (ie. dovetail jig, drawer lock bits, etc.). Sheesh, we're spending your money fast

Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 09-15-2004 at 12:07 AM.

Jim, It depends on what type of cabinets you will be building. Face framed or frameless?
    Are you going to build or buy the doors?
    Are you building or buying the drawer boxes?

I would recommend face frame cabinets. Less expensive equipment needed and more forgiving on tolerences.
    Buy the doors and drawer boxes. You can buy them cheaper than you can build them without buying some expensive equipment. (shaper, wide belt sander)
    Use pocket screws to build the face frames and attach them to the boxes. You just need clamps and a Kreg for this. Way faster and just as strong as any other method.
    I would use Euro hinges. You need a 35mm bit and a drill press for these.
    You need a 3/32 Vix bit for the hinge plate and slide screws.
    A table saw with good blades (dado, melamine blade), miter saw and jointer is the extent of the tools needed.
    Roger

The WoodCrafter

Jim, you mentioned "interior doors"...if you mean passage doors, you'll likely want to look into a capable shaper as the thickness for such things is often more than a router/table can handle. If you have not been following the "combination tool" thread, you may want to; not necessarily specific to the tools but there is also a lot of valuable commentary on "production" and "flow" from folks who make their living doing woodworking. Good stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a dedicated mortiser,13" planer,6" jointer, router table panel bits, small TS, CMS, to make them now. I have been making hutches for a while but the tools I have now (homade router table) is not very accurate. thats why Im thinking of getting a cabinet table saw, shaper and as Jim B staited about the doors I will probably need one to make the larger styles and rails . Also to help speed up set up time
    Heres a few of the primitive hutches the pics are not very good they have some glare! they don't look like this in person.
    Jim

I know a guy whose doing "incredibly well" doing semi custom cabinet work.

He has a craftsman table saw, craftman drill press, delta dust collector, delta 13" planer, delta drum sander, Bosch sliding cms, cordless drills and kreg jig.

He only just purchased a sprayer. Historically he brushed the finishes. His spray is a $39 hvlp gun and his 60 gal compressor. If he likes what the gun will do, he'll pbly upgrade.

He will typically buy the boxes, drawers, doors, and drawer fronts. Make the face frames.

He custom builds what can't be had off the shelf, then assembles and finishes the package. The results are fantastic.

I build cabinets as a more serious hobbyist and get commissions for furniture from time to time. I have basically the same stuff except my table saws are unisaws, but my drill press is a very small c'man bench top model. I'm on the hunt for a cheap light 9.6v drill for the hinge and assembly work. those big drills get to heavy.

Hope this helps.

Joe in Tampa....

I'm already building my kitchen cabinets. Tools that I have are:

Two routers,table (on the saw) and router bits.
    Table saw.
    kreg jig (home made)
    Two power hand drills and bits.
    Jigsaw to cut the panels into workable.
    Disk sander

One nice-to-have is a biscuit joiner. I use biscuits (without glue) to register face frames to cabinet boxes.

I built my kitchen cabinets, including the doors and drawer fronts with a table saw, router table, hand drill, planer, Kreg jig, circular saw (for breaking down plywood) and biscuit joiner. And clamps. Can't forget clamps. I have a drill press, but I can't remember using it for these cabinets. I didn't use Euro hinges, though.