Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection on the Cheap??

I'm a little higher in cost than some here, but I am also having to run the DC inside the shop and have no window to dump it out of as it where...

The system..

HF 97869 2HP DC. Current coupon for this has it at $137.00
    Wynn 35A filter. Paper blend .5 micron filter goes for $103.00, I got the spun bond for $147.00 as it represented a better value in the long haul. I could wash and re-use the spun bond, the paper is not washable.
    55 gallon drum based Thien Cyclone. $50.00 (barrel, pieces parts, scrap etc...)
    4" S&D pipe and fittings. (More than you want to know, more than I needed).

I have seen guys build carts to house the CD, AND separator can to roll from machine to machine. I did not want to take that approach... My shop is small enough I wasn't worried about the length of runs in 4".

I spent the extra and got the self cleaning blast gates from Lee Valley. I do NOT regret this purchase...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

2. Your lungs

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I feel like a broken record recommending this:

Delta 50-760.

I have one. Comes with a 1u bag, isn't too loud, and has worked wonderfully for me. Gets great ratings in reviews.
    Yes indeed. My brother, an avid woodworker died of lung cancer a few years ago. Your lungs deserve the best protection money can buy. Skimp on anything you want but protection of your body. Without it you are nothing.

Ok... Soooo... The general concensus is that the HF DC unit is better than the Grizzly G8027? They're right around the same cost after coupon or sales.

The delta is only pushing 1,200 CFM, which seems to be around what the others are at. If that be the case, it's basically the same as the Grizzly or HF unit once it's all said and done and the cyclone is added as well as a good pleated filter, which are pretty well a necessity.

Strike that.. My bad.. I see the others (at least the Griz) is not near 1.2k CFM..
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 09-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Ok... Soooo... The general concensus is that the HF DC unit is better than the Grizzly G8027? They're right around the same cost after coupon or sales.

The delta is only pushing 1,200 CFM, which seems to be around what the others are at. If that be the case, it's basically the same as the Grizzly or HF unit once it's all said and done and the cyclone is added as well as a good pleated filter, which are pretty well a necessity.

Strike that.. My bad.. I see the others (at least the Griz) is not near 1.2k CFM..
    While the HF is overrated by the MFG at something silly like 1600 CFM, it DOES move a LOT of air for a DC that can be had for $140.00. And even in stock trim, I believe the Grizz still has 30 micron bags..

For the cost of the HF, I honestly don't see any reason to buy a 1HP 500 - 650 CFM DC from the big MFGs, especially since they typically have very poor filtration. Just grab the HF, and a Wynn, or at the least a 1 micron bag, and be working safely.

For the $$, If I could have afforded the DC I REALLY wanted, I would have a Delta 50-760 with the Wynn 35A fitted to it (Hey Delta, you listening?) I know Delta has a 1.5HP canister DC, but it does not have the impeller housing straight to the inlet ring that makes the 50-760 so compelling...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Cheap doesn't go along with anything related to woodworking. DC included.

There are less expensive options, but none that when viewed from outside the realm of woodworking could be considered cheap. Sure, $350 compared to a $2,000 table saw sounds cheap, but $350 is still a lot of money to most folks.

A shop vac is not adequate for DC. Sorry, that's just a fact. The Delta single stage units get excellent reviews. The HF unit is very popular and there are a number of modifications posted here that make the HF a serious consideration.

Failure to account for DC in your shop will result in several undesirable consequences. DC and clamps should be the first thing any new shop should be equipped with.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    OK I think this is about the cheapest you can get.

You forgot the respirator.

I have a clearvue mini in my small shop with 2.5 inch clear tubing and gates, boy what a difference that made. Then I saw the DD on sale and got it for a second more mobile unit. Now after reading the above post and going to the clearvue site, I deeply regret purchasing the thing made by (I won't say it), but you get the meaning. %&)(@#

Greed, it got me because of the low cost of the thing.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I agree with the poster that said cheap is not good when considering dust collection. How much is your helath worth?

I'm looking at a Grizzly G0548 2HP DC with 1 micron filter and 1,700 CFM. Cost is $475 + $74 shipping. A little more expensive than the other setups mentioned above but comes with 1 micron so no need to retrofit, and at 1,700 CFM is more powerfull than the above mentioned solutions.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.