Thread: Plunging roundover and corebox bit all in one?

Question Plunging roundover and corebox bit all in one?

I am looking for a certain router bit and I don't know for sure if it exists or not. The best way I can think of to describe it would be a plunging roundover with an end like a corebox bit. The radius of the tip would match the radius of the roundover - preferably 1/4" radius. I did find a plunge-cutting ogee that cuts a bead in the bottom of the cut except the bead is a smaller radius than the other part. I have been using a plunging roundover bit first and then going over it again with a corebox bit down the center of the groove. Wish I could find one bit that will make both of the cuts in order to keep the corebox groove perfectly centered in the groove made by the roundover.

This is for decorative grille work where the profile of the cut goes a little over halfway through the thickness and is done on both sides of the wood leaving holes where the grooves intersect

Thanks for any input!
    Steve Garrison

Steve, go to Legacywoodworking.com and look at the barley twist bits. If they have the size you need they will do the job I think.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution