Thread: Cherry and Curly Maple Writing Desk

Cherry and Curly Maple Writing Desk

Here's a cherry and curly maple writing desk I made for my daughter. A week before I was finished with the desk, my wife decided that I needed to make a chair to go with it. Needless to say, I did not have the time to design and make a chair, so I made a bench to hold her over. I've never made a chair. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a chair?

The finish is Minwax wipe on gloss poly. I need to buff it out at some point, after it cures. I've read that it takes up to a month for poly to cure enough to buff it. I've never buffed a piece, so I'll have to read up on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Pearson; 09-14-2009 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Wrong forum. Should go in the woodworking projects forum.

Nice legs...

Well, this is a turning forum, right?

No, really though, you did a good job with some nice wood. Those are two of my favorite woods. As far as a chair, I'm not really any help there. Good luck.

David, that is a beautiful desk and bench.....but if you would post it in woodworking projects I think you would get more help
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    David, that is a beautiful desk and bench.....but if you would post it in woodworking projects I think you would get more help
    Thanks. I posted it in the wrong place and can't figure out how to move it.... I did turn the legs though!!

It's nice to see in the Turning threads some flat work combined with turning. Nice work.

Very nice. I see it as a WW Project so it belongs here also IMO regardless if the legs were turned. Looks great. I have only built one set of chairs so I won't comment and allow someone with more experience there to do so. Chairmaking is an art in itself. After 36 years I built a set and frankly.. the chair-makers get my business the next go. Mine were not bad after the proto-type but... it takes some trial and error to get the hang of it IMO.

But.. I allow poly to cure (gas-off and harden) from 1 week to two for a rub-out. A month would be even better if you have the patience a the longer you wait the harder the surface. But.. I have found 1-2 weeks is sufficient as the weather here in Atlanta aids the gas off time..

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice work and some beautiful curly maple!! I am of absolutely no help on chairs. Remember the scene from the Patriot movie with the pile of broken Windsors in the corner?? Were I to attempt chairs, I would need a bigger space for the scrap pile

Wish I could help. I think I saw somewhere that someone wrote a tutorial on chair making, unfortunately I don't know where I saw it.

That's beautiful BTW. I have never had or used curly maple but you've made me want to get some for some project. I'm guessing it would look stunning paired with walnut, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Wish I could help. I think I saw somewhere that someone wrote a tutorial on chair making, unfortunately I don't know where I saw it.

That's beautiful BTW. I have never had or used curly maple but you've made me want to get some for some project. I'm guessing it would look stunning paired with walnut, too.
    Thanks! I got the curly maple at Gutchess Lumber in Latrobe PA for $3.40 a bf. I got a 12" wide x 12' long board that was all tightly figured. I don't know if you are close to Latrobe, but if you are, check there. I can give you the number and address if you want it.

David -

Beautiful work.......gorgeous wood......NICE!!

realy nice work indeed! I think the bench is totaly appropriatfor a writhing desk and it look realy good also!

I really appreciate the grain matching on the drawers. the contrast of wood is really striking as well. I bet the piece gets more striking over time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pearson View Post
    Thanks! I got the curly maple at Gutchess Lumber in Latrobe PA for $3.40 a bf. I got a 12" wide x 12' long board that was all tightly figured. I don't know if you are close to Latrobe, but if you are, check there. I can give you the number and address if you want it.
    I'm between Williamsport and Harrisburg, so not so close to Latrobe. Thanks anyway.

That's wonderful work and the wood combination is gorgeous. I think the bench works very well with the desk, too.

As for chairs, I don't know if you have a subscription to Finewoodworking.com but under their "projects" tab, there is a great video tutorial on making a chair and the particular design is highly adaptable.

Now, having said that, what I did was go to Office Depot and buy one that was probably cheaper than what I could make one for...and very comfortable, too.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    That's wonderful work and the wood combination is gorgeous. I think the bench works very well with the desk, too.

As for chairs, I don't know if you have a subscription to Finewoodworking.com but under their "projects" tab, there is a great video tutorial on making a chair and the particular design is highly adaptable.

Now, having said that, what I did was go to Office Depot and buy one that was probably cheaper than what I could make one for...and very comfortable, too.
    Thanks Cody! Office Depot was my second option...