Thread: Need 4" angle grinder w/ low vibration

Need 4" angle grinder w/ low vibration

I'm making 12 dining room chairs and use an angle grinder w/ carbide disc to freehand form the crest rail. I've done one so far and it takes about 20-30 minutes. At the end, my hands are numb and tingly for about 2 days. I bought some anti-vibration gloves that I'll give a try, but obviously, I need a grinder with less vibration than my $10 HF one. I bought the HF model as other than this project, I very rarely use one.

The only other small ginder I've ever used was a Craftsman and it too vibrated quite a lot. I believe it is the nature of their design.

Anyone have a 4" angle grinder with low to medium vibration that they can recommend?

Regards,

John

Milwaukee, all of the heavy equipment field mechanics that I work with use them. It also has a smaller diameter than most of the others so it is easier to hold in one hand.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=361826244

I second the Milwaukee. The model I have is variable speed and is very comfortable to use, especially at less than full blast. Not cheap, though.

I think the vibration is going to be more a function of the tooling than the tool itself. My Harbor Freights and my Dewalt are all pretty smooth unless you have a coarse grinding wheel and rough surface. Unless its vibrating badly with no tooling...

Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I think the vibration is going to be more a function of the tooling than the tool itself. My Harbor Freights and my Dewalt are all pretty smooth unless you have a coarse grinding wheel and rough surface. Unless its vibrating badly with no tooling...
    Never thought of that. I've only used it with the tooling on it. The disc is pretty heavy. I'll pull it off and see how it runs without any tool on it.

Regards,

John

My first thought was that it probably depends most on the balance of the disc.

Where do you get carbide discs?

Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post
    My first thought was that it probably depends most on the balance of the disc.

Where do you get carbide discs?
    It's a blue, Tungsten carbide one from Woodcraft made for power carving. Don't remember the name brand.

The vibration seems to come through the tool body and feels like its from the motor. They all seem to have a similiar, well, grinding noise when you start them up.

I'm wondering if a VS model might work better. I can dial it down to where it still works, but isn't spinning like mad.

Regards,

John

I have heard some good comments on the "Metabo 4 1/2 grinders". The Metabo is probably the only grinder the not made in China.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

John;
    after many years in the field grinding metal for welding, I would recommend the Metabo.
    I've used the Dewalt(too loud) Milwaukee(vibration) and off brands. The Metabo fit my needs the best. Tooling does matter though, I have not used a 4-1/2 for my woodworking
    The thumb switch vs. a paddle switch is important too, I find the thumb switch with the "stay on" position to be most comfortable to work with.

Hope this helps
    can't wait to see the pics!
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

I knew a contractor that took tennis foam grip tape to wrap his vibrating tools. This sort of acts like an anti-vibration wrap.

I used a 4-1/2" makita with 4" diamond cutter to wet cut through marble for a sink.

It took me about a half hour of cutting, but I eventually did it.

With the diamond blade there wasn't that much vibration going on so my hands were fine.

The Makita has the thumb switch that stays "on" and I have no complaints with it. It was sold in a contractor 2-pack at HD.

+1 for metabo. Finest grinder made (Germany). Variable speed goes from really slow to really fast. Heavy duty, Smooth, electronic circuitry, rebuildable.

Metabo

Quote Originally Posted by j milana View Post
    +1 for metabo. Finest grinder made (Germany). Variable speed goes from really slow to really fast. Heavy duty, Smooth, electronic circuitry, rebuildable.
    I found the Metabo, 5" WE9-125 Quick, on Amazon for $159. Not bad. I like the 3000-10000 rpm range on it. I'm thinking that being able to vary the speed to the task will do more for vibraton than anything. For cutting wood with a carbide disc, I doubt I really need a full 10,000 rpm.

Thanks for all the good feedback!!!!!

Regards,

John