Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dowel Plate Woes

Unhappy Dowel Plate Woes

So I watched Christopher Schwarz's video on draw-boring, a technique I want to use on an upcoming project. I especially liked the part where he made his own dowels with a dowel plate. I thought, "wow, even *I* could hammer a piece of wood through a hole in a steel plate. Then I can use the kind of wood I want and have it match the rest of the project." So I ordered one, the same Lie-Nielsen model Chris used.

It came in the mail today, my first LN purchase. I ripped open the package excitedly and ran down to the shop to make some dowels. Split off a little piece of cedar, knocked the corners down, sharpened it a little, and banged it through the 1/4" hole. Hmm, not too straight. Or smooth. Or round.

Well, it's my first try, I think. I do it again. Same thing. Again. Even worse.

Hmm. I try a different hammer. Then a mallet. And a sledge. Nothing too spectacular, although I got a beaut of a blood blister on my thumb now too (don't ask).

I think, well cedar is a pretty soft wood. Let's try oak - what Chris used in the video - to see if that comes out any better. Nope.

Am I supposed to be using greener wood? Should I have lapped the plate first? Any dowel plate gurus care to share the secret? All I can tell you is that I don't think I am forcing a too-big piece through the 1/4" hole - I pick the biggest hole it will just barely not fit through and progress down from that. Usually it was just the next largest hole up from 1/4". I'm using pretty straight-grained pieces too, with the grain running the length of the dowel-to-be (or not-to-be).

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Sounds a lot like the problems I had with mine. I was able to get reasonably decent dowels by splitting the stock and planing off the edges to get it close to round. Still, not what I expected!

Dowel plates

Interesting... I was just thinking of bumping a LN dowel plate up on my "must have" list for use in drawboring. Maybe I'll stick to my current method (split from a straight grained block and "round" with a chisel) a little longer. For what it's worth, in softer woods like poplar and white pine, I have found that "mostly round" is round enough. After installation and planing they look round. But then again, I have never used pins larger than 1/4". From my vast experience of drawboring (22 joints if I count correctly) I wouldn't recommend using a soft wood for the pin or you won't be able to offset enough to do much "drawing". In which case you may as well assemble with clamps and glue then drill and install the pin later. Also the end grain creates as much contrast as using a hardwood pin.

I do have the dowell plate from LN and just love it. The way I use it is I slpit a piece from staight grain stock and go from a rough square to a nice square with a draw knife and then to an octogon with the draw knife and bring it "close" to the dowel size and tap it thrue the plate after sharpening one end with a knife!
    Hoppe it helps!
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used the LN dowel plate for nearly two years and really like it. Perhaps you're expecting perfectly round dowels. While that may be achievable, I hardly think it worth the effort. I've used it for Walnut, Maple, Cherry and Bubinga dowels throughout its range...not all perfectly round, but all perfectly serviceable.
    Allan
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. Bertrand Russell

Dowel

Good stuff. I wanted one but the price is incrdeible. Can't believe one of the irnomongers on this site or Woodnet.net hasn't knocked them off. Not surprised that cedar won't work. I'd figure on using something harder and straighter. I'm saving for a LN low angle block plane and I screwed up not getting it when it was $75.00 instead of $95.00 so I get my dowels at Home depot.

Look at Jim bode tool web page, I think his got one for sale, not a LN but a vintage one that should be as good!

Its more than likely your hammering technique, hit a nail on one side and it bends away from the blow, same with making dowels with a plate, you have to hit it fair and square, an old blacksmith term.

For what its worth, I mounted my 2 dowel plates to hard wood and drilled the holes thru, then turned them over and oversized the holes by a 64th so they don't stick in the hole as bad,

small plate,

large plate,

And I do drive them thru successively smaller holes, but my plates also have 1/32 oversize holes too.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

My "dowel plate" is just some bronze plumbing fittings screwed into a block of wood. It doesn't work perfectly, but it doesn't rust either. With a bit of judicious filing, it would probably do better.

I haven't seriously used it. I think I might have made it when I was making my workbench.

I suspect that air dried wood would respond better than kiln dried wood.

Like you, Chris' DVD inspired me to buy LN's dowel plate, and my results matched yours exactly. For me, the fix was in Harry's advice and lowering my expectations. Looking at my sort-of-dowels, it was clear my blows were also driving the peg from side to side. Looking at my hammer face and swing, I found a work surface at belt height. That solved my problem.
    AKA - "The human termite"

You don't have to buy a dowel plate, they're easy enough to make. I made my latest from 1 inch wide x 1/8 thick angle iron. The angle allows me to clamp the angle in my wood faced Emmert vise, so both hands are free, with one to help keep the dowel going straight thru the plate. The holes are redrilled from the back side like Harry's. I 've made dowels down to 1/16 dia using my own plates. In the smaller sizes you must pull the dowels thru the plate. When driving them I don't drive them very hard and strive to "Hit them fair and square."

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the idea of a hardwood backing plate to help keep your dowel straight. A dowel plate will work much easier with hardwoods (remember it’s a scraping action not cutting). Use straight grained stock, rive it out then knock off the corners. Start by taping it through the larger sizes and work your way down until you reach the diameter you want. This takes a little off at a time and helps prevent you from tearing the stock up.

Hi Charles! Just wanted to say hi to a fellow SAPFM member....

Sam,

Will you be at our local SAPFM meeting at the end of the month?

Charles

I'm planning on it... How about you?

(Sorry to hijack this thread guys )