Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAS question - (how much) does size matter?

RAS question - (how much) does size matter?

I've always been intrigued by the versatility of the RAS but haven't been convinced it would be worthwhile given my limited floor space. (That really isn't consistent, is it?) Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to work with one or the $ to buy one just to find out. I now have a Delta 9 inch Model M-10027 Super 900 RAS with 1 hp motor. Will this give a good indication of what I can do with a larger RAS, or is the difference in size, power or simply quality and reproducibility compared to a larger RAS too great to be an accurate indication?

Also, can these saws take larger blades/blade guards? The owwm manual says it's a 5/8 inch arbor (good), but I suppose the motor might not be sufficiently powerful to drive the 10 inch blades I already own.

Seems like it might be reasonably flexible for crosscutting/mitering and for not too deep/not too wide dado. I don't currently own a miter saw, compound or not, sliding or not.

Thanks.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I have an old Dewalt 14". I have a 12" blade on it, and I use it as a dedicated 90 degree crosscut station. I can crosscut 17" with it. Mine is super heavy duty and I have the arm locked from raising and lowering, so it is a perfect 90 and has been for 18 years.

I think the less expensive home shop saws flex a lot more, and therefore they are not very precise.

I have wanted to use mine to cut dados and such but I haven't because the fence system I am using wouldn't work for it, and I'd have to unlock the column which would mean the saw is no longer a perfect 90.

Here are some pics of my cutoff station. (This makes cutting stock at 90 super easy and super accurate).

I have a Craftsman that I bought new in 1980. I am considering selling it due to lack of use, and mostly lack of space.

There is always a good selection on craigslist. Just pick your price and watch for one.

John

There is a Dewalt in the classifieds that is the bomb. Kind of like that one above. I do not have space for one, but if I did, I would get one of those older Dewalts. They are amazing.

Mike

I have a 14" industrial DeWalt from the 40's with a 24" cross cut, and like Joe's mine stays at 90 degrees. Its one heck of a cross cutting tool that can handle up to 4" thickness, and I can cross cut sheet goods for typical cabinet depths which is handy. I don't use it for a fraction of its potential. I considered using it as a shaper at one point. I can't think of a SCMS that can fly through 16/4 oak like a good RAS. At work I set up a 16" heavy industrial DeWalt this winter with a 28" cross cut and a 5" depth of cut. It is a monster built into a long bench that is the first stop for almost everything made in the shop.

How do these compare to a 9" small shop version other than the obvious capacity issues? I have no idea having not used a small RAS other than my Dad's craftsman, which of of such poor quality as to be beyond comparison. Not the same stuff. I can tell you that using a good blade with a negative rake angle meant for the RAS is a good idea rather than some general purpose blade meant for a TS.

For years I had dreamed about having a radial arm saw that can cross cut 24". I finally got an inca. While it was a nice little tool, I could never keep it square.

A few years ago I got involved with the Eurekazone rail system and made a Cross cutting power bench. It has about a 25" cross cutting capacity and has been a dream come true. It has none of the traits that cause a radial to be consider unsafe. I think rail setups like this will be the crosscutters of the future.

Burt

I've had several different radial arm saws. My first was a newer Craftsman and I experienced all of the problems keeping it aligned that others have reported. I sold it and bought and old 10" 2HP 120 volt Dewalt (sorry I can't remember the model). I loved that saw. I had it locked dead nuts on 90 degrees and it never drifted. Unfortunately the motor died and I decided it was cheaper to replace it than to rebuild the motor. I bought a old Dewalt MBF, 1/2 horsepower, 9" blade. Like the other Dewalt I have it dialed in at 90 degrees and it's rock solid. I bought it from the estate of a picture frame maker. I love this saw except for one thing - it's under powered. It will stall when crosscutting 2" thick maple. I just got a great deal on an old 2 HP 12" Delta. I plan to sell the Dewalt and put the Delta in use.

The point I'm trying to make is that bigger is probably better (at least up to a point). For me, 1/2 horse power is just too small.

-- Phil

At one point Dewalt put a 10" blade on their 9" saw and sold it as the model 1200. These saws had 3/4 HP motors, and most people deem that inadequate for a 10" blade. Some of the older 10" Dewalts had 1 HP motors (when 1 HP was a true 1 HP) and I've not seen anyone complain about them. Even so, I would want a slightly larger motor for a 10" blade. I have a Dewalt 1030K ( 1 1/2 HP ) and think it''s about as low as I would want with the size blade. To me, the capabilities of my smaller Dewalt (MBF) are about the same as the 1030K....but the larger saw has the capacity for times when the wood is wider or thicker.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

IMO, radial arm saws are great for there primary purpose, crosscutting. But an RAS being outed as versatile is not really the case. Most of the shops I have worked in would just buy several, set them up once to do one thing and never change anything but the blade again. I also see that as a common theme in rhis thread.

Shortly after buying my house I picked up a DeWalt RAS probably 40's or 50's era at a yard sale for $60. I've not been abale to find a lot of info on it. It is an 8 1/2" or 9" model (the only blades I've used are 8 1/2", maybe it would take a 9"). I've used it primarily for fairly rough cuts as before a recent tuning it would never cut square and drifted like crazy. I found a small crack in the 90 degree stop. I replaced a broken knob with a grade 8 bolt, applied a lots of torque to lock it down, built my table around it set square to the blade, and it hasn't moved since. If I took the time to learn how to tune it, I have no doubt that it could cut spot on 90's all day long. My OMGA chop saw cuts perfect miters, so tuning the RAS is not a high priority. I've used the RAS to cut miters, cut compound miters, and rip, but it is not worth the hassle of setting it up and I've never liked the results. It may be a versatile machine in what it CAN do, but it is very limited in what it is GOOD at doing.

I had to trim all of my fence boards when rebuilding from hurricane Ike. I don't think a tool better suited for the job exists. Okay, a horizontal bandsaw might, but the RAS really came through as cross cutting with it is effortless.

The cross cut capacity is about 13 inches, which has been plenty for most of my needs. The thing that keeps it from being indispensable is the blade. I haven't found a blade I've been very happy with, but then again, I am not ready to invest a lot of money into this saw. There are real limitations on selection, availability and subsequently, fewer deals to be had with 8 1/2" blades. If I could switch it out for a 10" blade, it might come with me on a move. As it is, it will probably get Craigslisted or Yard sold next time I have to pack everything up.

So my advice would be to get at least a 10" blade.

This discussion is very useful, thanks. Sounds like RAS can handle many tasks well but cannot rapidly switch between them unless precision is not important. I'll see how it goes with the one I have acquired. I have little $ invested in it and my time is whatever I can spare, so it will at least be a good learning experience.

Thanks again.

Dave,

You have a really good saw and if you set if up correctly according to the owners manual you should be able to perform all of the functions it's capable of.

I just rebuild my Delta 900 and haven't set it up yet but with everything tight it doesn't drift of go out of line at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Waddell View Post
    For years I had dreamed about having a radial arm saw that can cross cut 24". A few years ago I got involved with the Eurekazone rail system and made a Cross cutting power bench. It has about a 25" cross cutting capacity and has been a dream come true. It has none of the traits that cause a radial to be consider unsafe.
    Burt

You mean it has no blade? Because if it has a blade, it is not entirely safe. The only aspect of a RAS I find unsafe is the nut that connects the handle to the floor. When that gets loose things can get ugly. If one can manage not to pull a giant whirling blade directly into an appendage or otherwise violate every basic rule of shop safety the RAS is otherwise a fairly safe and usable tool.

Glad you found a solution that works for your needs, sorry you never realized your dream of owning a 24" cross cut RAS. It is a thing of beauty I can tell you. Set a few stops, quickly cross cut an entire lift of lumber or plywood to length. I think the only thing better is perhaps a jump saw?

does the upside down peace sign below mean this not one of the better quality Rockwell RAS? (This is not the 9 inch saw I have, but another that is knocking around.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably the Grandaddy of all RAS, my old Emerson, 10 inch blade, 1 hp, dedicated 90 degree cut off saw. Its just a part of the bench, doesn't take up any room.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand