Thread: Good price?

Good price?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2 year old 14" Powermatic bandsaw. Model #Model PWBS-14CS. No blades. He is firm at $475.00 which appears to be a good price but...

He is in the process of moving and the saw is disassembled and packed away so I could not start it up to check out how it runs.

Good price even though I can't check it out?

Thanks,

Toney

Quote Originally Posted by Toney Robertson View Post
    Good price even though I can't check it out?
    On the edge of being too much, unless it's in perfect condition.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have that saw, it's a good saw, but I got a riser, rockler table and fence, mobile base and several blades for 600. So, as mentioned, on the edge of being too much. I'd also be careful buying anything that's in parts. It's way too easy to lose the fence rails, or bolts. My saw didn't have the stock rails or bolts, but since it has the Rockler, not a problem. Oh, no miter gage too, but who cares about a stock miter? An Incra is 50 bucks.

If he's firm, you may think how badly you want that saw. It's not a great deal, but livable, IMO. It would really depend on what extras it has, if any.

New is $1,000 so $475 sounds like a good buy for a 2 year old saw.

Since it is in parts I guess you would need to go with your gut feeling. Does it look like it has been well kept? What does his house and cars look like? Are they well kept?
    Powermatic has a 5 year warranty so may be able to work out a deal if there is a problem the guy could help you out with an original receipt.

Grizzly has this 14" saw for $575
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-E...Bandsaw/G0555X

Or this for $395
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-...-Bandsaw/G0555
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-14-2009 at 9:24 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Both of those Grizzly saws are good Band Saws. I have both of them. The G0555X I bought new with the riser block. The other one I got a couple of weeks ago from the Nashville CL, 4 years old I think, in brand new condition, for $75.00, including a mobile base. Both are nice saws for the money.

Though that's a good price on the saw that you're considering, I'd be a little nervous about not seeing it in action.

My two cents..........
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Thanks for the replies.

The fact that I can't run it does worry me. I might just pass.

Besides I really need a new jointer!

Toney

Tell the guy that you will take it if you can or he can put it together and hear it run and make sure everything is their, if he has a problem with that I would pass
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

At the very least, I'd have him sign an agreement confirming that the saw is whole and in good running condition.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    If anything is even honestly 'lost' during the moving and packing process you will be in a bind. Sometimes small parts can cost more than you think. Missing parts are probably not going to be under warranty and once he has his money his interest in finding the parts and shipping them to you will be lost.
    If it were me, I would show him the money and say "lets set it up. It is a yay or nay deal. If it runs and everything is there I will not bargain with you. I will load it up and be gone".
    I have used this approach before. If he dont want to set it up, run like the wind.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville