Thread: help with bidding

help with bidding

Job, rip to 1.5 inch, cut to 1.5inch length and drill a 5/8 hole in the center of furnished 1/4 thick ash, 3200 pieces.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Make one piece. See how long it takes. Multiply that by 3,200. Deduct 20% for "production efficiency". Multiply that by your hourly shop rate which should include all of your overhead costs.
    David DeCristoforo

Hi Harry,

Do you have a machining process/work flow scheme in mind for this job? Is there a delivery schedule? Do you have to deliver all pieces at once or can the parts delivery be staggered?

Can you "mass produce" any of the steps, i.e., after ripping all the material, stack several rips, drill, then cut to length? Or, does each operation have to be done one at a time?

Thanks for the help, I did what I used to do in the blacksmith shop for small pieces. I set up some simple jigs and did 10 pieces keeping track of the time, and have submitted a proposal for the job.

Jr.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Might I ask what 3000 square, wooden washers are for?

game pieces,
    Jr.

If you have create the right jigs, you'd find it much more efficient to drill multiple (say 10) holes prior to cutting to length.

That is, rip to 1.5" wide. Drill holes every 1.625 inches (assuming .125 kerf). After entire piece has been drilled, then go back and cut to length.

You can make some nifty jigs to help you out. For example, you can create a jig that holds a 5/8 diameter dowel that you drop into the hole you just created. This will lock it in place and allow you to make the next hole at precisely the right length.

Assuming you have a miter saw, you can knock them out real quick.