Thread: Coffee Table drawers

Coffee Table drawers

I just ordered ny Mortise Pal and plan to put it to use building this table
    Display Table.jpg

My question is;
    Full extention drawer slides (that I already have)
    or classic waxed wood runners
    ??

Any other design suggestions are welcome. I am going by the photo and will be working up the plans from the photo and dems.
    Thanks,
    Colin

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, it would depend on what is going to be placed in the drawers and how far out I would need to pull the drawer to get to what ever is stored there. If it were large boxes with my butterfly collection, then I would problably use full extension slides so I could get the boxes in and out with two hands and not have to hold the drawer.

It would also depend on how often the drawer is going to get used. The higher the frequency of use the more likely I would use the metal slides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee,
    This is what I was thinking too. At first I was thinking that after the top drawer was set up (with sea shells) that would be it for open close use but if it were easy to access then she might be inclined to rotate her collection through a bit...we got lots o shells.

I was also thinking of making the drawers open from both ends. The slides, of course, would not work for this. and it would double the drawer front order AND there would be no margin for error in the drawer size.

I don't really like the way the slides look when visible but this may be a function first situation.

Another concern is that I am a novice and the slides would be a little more straight forward to install...

Blog Entries
    If you make all the drawers identical they can be interchanged instead of moving the shells around.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Actually, the bottom two drawers will be one drawer disguised as two for living room...stuff. Good idea though. I expect she will enjoy the rotation process.

Looking closely at the picture it looks like there are no rails between the drawers...hmm.
    Is this right? Seems kinda weird.
    C

In the picture, the drawers could be supported only on the sides, with no intervening rail between the drawers.

I am sure you are right Sam, I drew it up and it works well. The only thing is that I was expecting to put a panel under the top drawer so that when it was open you would not see to the bottom drawer, but really, this ain't that big a deal. I like the look of the stacked drawers.
    Thanks,
    C

Both!

I have decided to go with drawer sliders on the bottom drawer(s) and classic style on the top display drawer as the bottom one will get used a lot and the top, for the most part, will not be used. Also the 1/2" needed for the sliders would make the tops of the drawer box visable through the display. Here is where I am at so far. Will be building drawer boxes tomorrow.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121611
    Last edited by Colin Wollerman; 10-04-2009 at 4:35 AM.

I have a table very similar to this one. The drawers go all the way through. You can pull them out from either side. This is really nice if the table is going to be in the middle of the room as opposed to in a corner (and this type of table really begs to be toward the center of the room.
    Salme

Salem,
    I gave that serious consideration but ended up going with false drawers on one side. My bottom two drawers are also false in that they are two drawer fronts, one drawer. It is a big drawer. Really wanted it on some heavy duty drawer slides.
    Will try and post some pics later. Getting close to finish time!