Thread: Minor Gloat and Heads-up

Minor Gloat and Heads-up

Well, I figured after my planer purchase my tool budget was all used up. Naturally I came across a deal I couldn't refuse on a little jointer- (isn't that the way it always happens?) LOML was very understanding and Saturday I came home with a 1-1/2 year old Craftsman 6" jointer for less than half what it costs on sale (which it is right now). With reference to the recent thread on which jointer to buy - I'm in the "not enough space" and the "not enough $$" camps. The 6" is HUGE in my shop (about 250sqft.). So, a little paint and rust removal here she is.

Anyhow, along with the gloat, I thought I would pass along the info on the mobile base I picked up for it. I came across a post on OWWM about this adjustable machine base for $15.95 (+ shipping). It is similar to the ShopFox units, though I have not used one of those so I'm going by pictures I've seen. As a friend says, It's "anvil technology". Nothing fancy - the fit and finish are servicable but nothing to rave about. Everything fit fine and went together without a problem. Though if you don't have snap ring pliers get a pair - snap rings are used to hold the stationary feet onto the handscrews. The jointer is about 250 lbs. and the base holds it without a problem. It moves around on cast iron wheels easily and the handscrews are less of a pain than I thought they would be. So for $28.50 (with shipping 35lbs) I think it works really well. It can be found here:
    http://jordanindustrial.zoovy.com/product/MI91480

The usual caveats apply - not affiliated etc.
    Thanks for looking,
    Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find Wes. You are going to be building a new shop soon, right, so you won't have to slow down on the tool buying front.

The base looks substantial (1200 lbs.) and reasonable. How high is the cabinet raised off the floor with this unit?

Cool stuff, Wes!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That's a real nice gloat you got there Wes. Nothing wrong with 6" jointers, especially if space is limited.They do occupy some real estate. I'll let you in on a secret to cheap extension tables/rollers to help with longer material. Peruse the Bicycling section of eBay and look for used "rollers", The used models by Minoura,and Performance can be had pretty cheap. They are lite, strong, already mounted in a frame with good bearings, and the drive cord causes all the rollers to turn in sync and aid in stock feeding. After launching myself off of my rollers and into the refrigarator on my bike in the house a time or two, I determined that this was a better use for them. Thanks for the tip on the base. I need a few rolling bases for some unrelated woodworking projects.

Very nice Wes. You should get lots of good use our of that tool and I like the base.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Steve,

The base raises the tool about 1-1/2".

Wes

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Wes.Tthanks for the info. The mobile base would be perfect for a home project. surfed in placed an order. Wouldn't take. Called them. Wouldn't take either card. Guess I am the no good low life Mark says I am

PS. Cart is on the way
    PSS. Congrats.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-16-2004 at 4:49 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Ad me to the list, just ordered one for my Ridgid jointer. I've made my own wood mobile bases for other tools, but the jointer is just too heavy, doubt if I could make one that cheap.

Thanks for the post, Wes!

I was going to order one, but I thought $29 for shipping was excessive. The total would have been $43.

Nic, it is still a good price even if the shipping is a bit exorbitant. I ordered some other crap, too...well, I hope it isn't crap! 1500# tie-down for $4? I picked up two of those...some markers for a buck and some artist paint brushed for a buck. None of that changed the shipping and made it an easier pill to swallow.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    I was going to order one, but I thought $29 for shipping was excessive. The total would have been $43.
    You could check out Homier's HDC mobile base, it's about the same price, and see if shipping is less. Homier uses FedEx ground, which is usually least expensive.

The shipping on the this base actually made it a couple bucks higher for me, but I went with it due to Wes' testmonial. I haven't actually seen the Homier and don't know how it would work with a jointer.

You can order from Homier's WS, but I will not post a link for fear of provoking Ken's wrath. Just do a web search for them.

Funny how they compute shipping. The S&H on 1 unit is $11.34 (for my Zip) and close to $20.00 additional S&H on each additional mobile base. I know I can order them individually but it seems strange to find such a premium on quantity purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Funny how they compute shipping. The S&H on 1 unit is $11.34 (for my Zip) and close to $20.00 additional S&H on each additional mobile base. I know I can order them individually but it seems strange to find such a premium on quantity purchases.
    Yeah, some friends on another forum noticed the same thing.

Yeah, I thought the shipping was a bit high until I received the piece. It's one heavy sucker (35lbs.) so I don't think they are padding it too much. And as Steve pointed out they have some weird calculation on the shipping for more than one.
    As far as Homier's base, that is what is under most of my other equipment - on some I should say parts of it are. I used the levered wheel and adjustable feet on my BS and flip top bases I built recently with fixed casters on the other side - didn't used the frame. It looks like a clone of the Delta bases for much less. I was going to use one for the jointer, but the bases footprint is too large and the Jordan base came up in the mean time.

Yes Chris, I know what you mean about the "oh, I could use that" syndrome - but I had willpower (i.e. empty bank account) I had picked up some bakelite knobs from them previously. Some of them are now on the jointer and my DP. The Craftsman jointer had big yellow rubber knobs - the kind that give you the willies when you grab them. (plus it put me in mind of a circus clown for some reason )

Wes

PS: Tyler - us "lowlifes" (PC police - vertically challenged) got to stick together!